Program: Education Leadership, Organizations, and Entrepreneurship
Whether you seek to manage a complex learning organization or team, launch an entrepreneurial venture, or drive an initiative that sparks new possibilities within an existing school, district, or network, the Education Leadership, Organizations, and Entrepreneurship (ELOE) Program will help you become an effective, strategic, and innovative leader within the field. Our program prepares you with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to lead with impact in diverse roles, including preK–12, higher education, the nonprofit sector, government, and philanthropy. With a focus on change management, organizational leadership, and entrepreneurial principles, this program equips you to envision, enact, scale, and transform.
“So many people hear the word ‘organization’ and think ‘business.’ But students who want to improve education and become education leaders – either at the school level, state level, or national level – have to understand how schools work. Recognizing the importance of organizational dynamics, the role of leaders, and the potential impact of entrepreneurship, is critical, and these concepts are at the heart of our program.”
Ebony Bridwell-Mitchell, Faculty Co-Chair
After completing the ELOE Program, you will have a deeper understanding of the following competencies that explore how to:
- Generate results and achieve your organization’s vision through change-focused leadership
- Foster productivity by designing work practices, routines, systems, and structures.
- Advance an excellence and equity agenda by practicing political inclusion and navigating your institution’s political landscape
- Engage people from across cultures, backgrounds, and languages through effective communications
- Cultivate empowerment, resiliency, integrity, and growth through your personal development and development of others
In addition to a diverse set of distribution courses, our program offers the ELOE Core Experience that helps you learn, practice, and fine-tune the skills needed for professional leadership and entrepreneurial roles. These experiences, which take place throughout the school year, will provide you with the opportunity to participate in a learning community that:
- Allows you to explore your leadership strengths and areas of growth
- Enables you to set personal learning goals and monitor your progress
- Advances your personal learning and reflection to help integrate and apply your learning across coursework
- Positions you to make an impact within your chosen career path following graduation
HGSE consists of a faculty of the whole, and students can work with and take courses with faculty throughout HGSE and Harvard. View our faculty directory for a full list of HGSE faculty.
The ELOE Program prepares you for a variety of career pathways, including:
- Education nonprofit CEO/COO
- Entrepreneur/organization founder
- College or university administrator
- Principal or head of school
- School district or network leader
- School designer and developer
- Educational advocate and organizer
- Public official or administrator
- Education consultant
Today’s complex education landscape calls for innovative leaders who not only have the ability to design a vision for their learning context, but also deliver it so it becomes a reality. Our Education Leadership, Organizations, and Entrepreneurship Program will provide the skills, knowledge, and positions you need to make a transformative impact. Here are profiles of several recent graduates who have studied education leadership:
By improving children's access to education in Tanzania, master's candidate Mandy Stein's nonprofit is supporting the growth of a community.
Community colleges hold a lot of untapped potential, says master's candidate Mark Dennis — especially for underserved communities.
Cohort and Community
The ELOE experience is not only about strengthening knowledge, skills and dispositions but also about building a community of colleagues who can provide support during the program and for years afterwards as you work together to transform the field. The ELOE Program purposefully works to honor and build on the diverse backgrounds and experiences of students — from countries and regions around the world – by providing a varied set of cohort-based, community-building experiences. The aim of these experiences is to build a network of current students and future alumni united by a shared commitment to leading for excellence, equity, and impact in the field of education.
Tell us about yourself so that we can tailor our communication to best fit your interests and provide you with relevant information about our programs, events, and other opportunities to connect with us.