Learn about using data to drive sustainable quality improvement in early education systems, settings, and classrooms.
Often in many early education settings, data are collected only for compliance purposes — to meet licensing, accreditation requirements, or mandates. But with the right knowledge, strategies, and tools, the effort and time that goes into collecting, analyzing, and reporting these data can be leveraged to drive quality improvement in the setting and classroom.
Creating a Data-Use Culture in Leadership and Learning Communities: A Bootcamp for Early Education Leaders is offered as part of the Zaentz Professional Learning Academy and is aligned with the Academy’s mission to equip leaders with the cutting-edge knowledge, strategic tactics, and collaborative networks needed to design and implement approaches and policies that improve young children's learning environments.
Participants will discover novel ways to create systems and supports for effective data collection and use in systems, centers, and classrooms, gain insights from the latest science, learn from experts, and build their data-use toolkit.
Facilitated by Nonie Lesaux and Stephanie Jones, Faculty Directors of the Saul Zaentz Early Education Initiative at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, this program offers a combination of lectures, research discussions, collaboration opportunities, and individual and small-group planning sessions.
Live sessions will take place each Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00 - 2:30 p.m. ET for the entirety of the program. Each live session will be a combination of a group plenary session , which is recorded, followed by a facilitated reflection and discussion portion, which is not recorded. Please note that we strongly encourage live participation, as these sessions will be a good opportunity to engage with your colleagues and faculty in the program.
Specific activities include:
- Plenary sessions
- Small-group discussions and reflections
- Facilitated question-and-answer discussions
- Networking opportunities
- Examine the landscape of data collection in settings serving young learners.
- Review key types of information to gather in the domains of behavior management, social-emotional learning, and language and literacy.
- Learn effective data analysis and data-use practices for behavior management, social-emotional learning, and language and literacy.
- Explore practices that foster data-use mindsets among educators and improve leadership and learning communities.
Who Should Attend
- Directors of early education centers or programs
- Leaders of early education service organizations across the mixed-delivery system
- Teacher leaders or teachers with an interest in leadership
- Directors, administrators, and coaches in public school preK programs
- Early education professionals who support teachers in their work, such as instructional coaches, supervisors, or teachers who have leadership roles
- Higher education faculty and staff in early education programs