The job of a school leader has never been more complex. School leaders are key change agents for their schools and are tasked with improving practice while navigating an increasingly challenging school environment. Driving change requires a strong foundation of knowledge and skills to effectively manage improvement and lead successful schools.
Offered as a course within the Certificate in School Management and Leadership (CSML), an innovative collaboration between the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE) and Harvard Business School (HBS), Leading Change is designed to equip school leaders with the skills they need to drive school change and help diverse stakeholders establish priorities and improve practice.
Leading Change participants will:
- Learn the concept of adaptive leadership, and apply a framework for building and distributing leadership in their school, engaging and empowering others in solving their school’s most challenging problems, including those that require shifts in beliefs and practices
- Operationalize the fundamental belief that the principal can and should set the culture of a school
- Learn how to establish a sense of urgency, craft and communicate a strong vision, and actively shape a school culture to support the most critical work
- Develop the knowledge and skills to lead a diverse school community that supports all students in reaching their potential
- Explore, identify and address equity challenges by using data, and learn how to build an equitable school culture that promotes excellence for all
Hosted on the innovative HBS Online platform, Leading Change is an entirely virtual, highly interactive, and case-based course. Leading Change participants:
- Engage in case-based learning with HGSE and HBS faculty on topics that include education, business, and policy
- Watch virtual case studies featuring leaders from a representative cross-section of U.S. schools and businesses, and analyze the leaders’ experiences, insights, and best practices
- Engage in interactive activities to learn and network with a diverse group of participants who hold school leadership positions worldwide
- Reflect on their practice, knowledge, skills, and understandings—and identify opportunities to apply course learnings to their unique context
- Gain first hand experience with the case-based and inductive learning model
For a look at the participant experience, view the Leading Change demo video below.
The course also features engaging case studies of the following practitioners:
- Quinton Courts: Principal, Leonides Gonzalez Cigarroa Elementary School, Dallas, TX
- Sheila Durant: Principal, P.S. 69 Journey Prep School, Bronx, NY
- John Fish: President and CEO, Suffolk Construction, Boston, MA
- Jeff Mathews: Principal, Peachtree Ridge High School, Suwanee, GA
- Brittany Wagner-Friel: Principal, EL Hayes Elementary School, Washington, DC
- Naia Wilson-Akubude: Headmaster, New Mission High School, Boston, MA