Gain the skills you need to lead and coach educators as they enact the Data Wise Improvement Process in their school or district.
Data Wise Coach Certification
“When schools create a collaborative culture around data use—when they use data not to point fingers but to inform collective decisions—something powerful can happen.” — Kathryn Boudett, Faculty Chair
The Data Wise Improvement Process is a collaborative inquiry model that helps schools organize their daily efforts around the continuous improvement of teaching and learning.
The Data Wise Coach Certification Program prepares experienced users to lead teams of educators in through cycles of inquiry. The program is designed to help schools and school systems boost their training capacity and bring data inquiry to scale in cost effective and context-specific ways.
During this rigorous, 12-18 month program, you will work to develop and demonstrate six core competencies required to become a Data Wise Certified Coach. You will serve as a teaching fellow in Harvard’s array of Data Wise courses and will receive feedback from faculty, mentors, and peers as you coach teams in the field. At the end of the program, you will develop six Data Wise coach competencies:
- Know the ACE Habits of Mind, Data Wise norms, and key tasks and terms associated with each step of the Data Wise Improvement Process
- Create a data overview designed to engage educators in conversation about evidence of student learning
- Prepare a team to launch a Data Wise Journey
- Coach a team through a Data Wise Journey
- Create and deliver a training session that meets the needs of a specific audience
- Use the ACE Habits of Mind and the Data Wise norms while working with peers and mentors on the continuous improvement of coaching practice
As a certified Data Wise coach, you will also be qualified to serve on teaching teams for future on-campus and online Data Wise courses. For a period of two years after certification, you will have access to:
- Quarterly conference calls that provide Data Wise updates and a discussion of coaching videos and artifacts from the field
- A web-based resource library that can be used in your teaching of Data Wise content
Become qualified to:
- Teach educators the Data Wise process and habits
- Coach teams as they work their way through a cycle of inquiry, answering questions and providing targeted feedback
- Mentor the next cohort of coach certification candidates
- Contribute to discussions among fellow coaches about continued refinement of Data Wise resources.
Who Should Attend
- have completed a Data Wise course on-campus or online (not including Data Wise MOOC)
- have two or more years experience working in K-12 schools or higher education, as well as experience facilitating groups and analyzing multiple forms of data
- want to deepen their ability to teach others about the Data Wise Improvement Process and support teams through the steps
- are committed to becoming part of a community of learners and want to cultivate habits of mind for using time and data wisely
Please note: To be eligible for DWCC you must be available to be a member of the teaching team during an on-campus Data Wise Leadership Institute or an approved on-site Harvard Data Wise Project program. If you are not able to participate in an on-campus program this year or an on-site program in the upcoming year, we hope you will consider applying during the next cohort cycle. If you have questions about approved onsite programs please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data Wise Coaches Network
After certification, Data Wise coaches become part of a worldwide network of practitioners and researchers. Coaches are invited to participate in quarterly professional development calls for the coaching community, during which coaches engage in consultancies to give and get feedback on their coaching practice and integrating Data Wise into specific contexts.
Faculty Director, Learning and Teaching
Kathryn Boudett is the faculty co-chair of the Data Wise Leadership Institute: June, Data Wise Leadership Institute: January, Data Wise Leadership Institute: Australia, Data Wise Leadership Institute: Online, Data Wise in Action Program, Data Wise Coach Certification, and the Data Wise Coach Network.
Ph.D. student in Education, HGSE
Jaein Lee is the educational co-chair of the Data Wise Coach Certification and Data Wise Coach Network.
Data Learning Leader, Bastow Institute of Educational Leadership (Department of Education and Training, Victoria)
Penny Jayne is the educational co-chair of the Data Wise Coach Certification.
Fees & Policies
Payment or a purchase order must be received within 30 days of program acceptance, or upon receipt of the invoice if acceptance is within 30 days prior to the start of the program. Click here for more information on payment and financial aid.
Please click here for more information on our on-campus and online refund and withdrawal policies.
The Harvard Graduate School of Education reserves the right to change faculty or cancel programs at its discretion. In the unlikely event of program changes, the school is not responsible for non-refundable travel arrangements or other planning expenses incurred.
Closed Captioning and Accessibility
This course contains videos and live web conferences. The majority of our pre-recorded videos are closed-captioned and accompanied by PDF transcripts. For live events, we will arrange for captioning services upon your request. Please email us at email@example.com if you require these accommodations. If possible, requests should be made at least a week in advance. Please note: we will make every effort to secure services, but all are subject to availability.