The Certificate in School Management and Leadership (CSML), a multi-course certificate program for preK-12 school leaders, is an innovative collaboration between the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE) and Harvard Business School (HBS). Bridging the fields of business and education, CSML integrates expertise in managing teams and organizations with best practices in school and instructional leadership, to provide school leaders with frameworks, skills, and knowledge to effectively lead and drive change improvement in schools.
Hosted on the highly interactive HBS Online platform, CSML offers participants the opportunity to reflect on and apply the course learnings to their unique context, while interacting with and learning from a global network of school leaders.
The CSML certificate will be comprised of the following four courses, which can be taken independently or completed together in any order to earn a comprehensive certificate:
- Leading Schools (available in June 2020)
- Leading Change (not available at this time)
- Leading People (available in July 2020)
- Leading Learning (launching summer 2021)
June Term | June 17 – July 15, 2020
Application Deadline: June 5, 2020 | Enrollment Deadline: June 10, 2020
July Term | July 22 – August 19, 2020
Application Deadline: July 10, 2020 | Enrollment Deadline: July 15, 2020
The remaining course, Leading Learning, is in development. To receive more information and updates on future CSML course offerings, please request information here.
Hosted on the innovative HBS Online platform, CSML courses are entirely virtual, highly interactive, and case-based. Course participants:
- Engage in case-based learning with HGSE and HBS faculty on topics that include education, business, and policy
- Watch virtual case studies featuring leaders from a representative cross-section of U.S. schools and businesses, and analyze the leaders’ experiences, insights, and best practices
- Engage in interactive activities to learn and network with a diverse group of participants who hold school leadership positions worldwide
- Reflect on their practice, knowledge, skills, and understandings—and identify opportunities to apply course learnings to their unique context
- Gain first hand experience with the case-based and inductive learning model
- Learn in a flexible, online platform that creates a powerful peer-to-peer learning experience adapted to fit school leaders’ busy schedules
Each CSML course takes place over four weeks and will require approximately three to four hours of work each week. Course activities are both rigorous and flexible. The course learning format allows participants to choose when within a given week they complete an assignment, while engaging with specific content and projects during designated time periods. This approach enables cohort members to work through the course elements together and fosters peer-to-peer learning, a vital component of the CSML experience. Participants will be able to download course materials including key takeaways at the end of each week.
Who Should Participate
CSML is designed for school leaders who are looking to deepen their knowledge of leadership and management in schools. Specifically:
- Early-career and experienced school leaders, including teacher leaders responsible for supporting and managing teams of teachers or other school staff
- District, charter, faith-based, and independent school leaders
- School, district, or school management leadership teams