Plan your entry into a new education leadership position through this new online professional development program. Learn to devise a series of steps that will involve communities of stakeholders in creating opportunities for all children to succeed.
Building Your Entry Plan to Lead for Equity in Education
If you are starting a new leadership position in the upcoming school term, your journey will begin at an unprecedented time – a moment shaped by a pandemic that has disrupted education around the globe as well as worldwide demonstrations calling for racial and social justice.
Building Your Entry Plan to Lead for Equity in Education will equip you to serve in a more senior capacity in your work with an explicit focus on gaining the early insight and trust necessary to set the stage for positive change. This online professional development program is designed to help you enter, listen, communicate, and lead more effectively with the community you serve – providing you with strategies to engage stakeholders early, make sense of your organization, and plan for collaborative action with a focus on equity.
This four-week online program will leverage research and best practices from the fields of leadership and communications to help educators plan their entry into a new leadership position. Incorporating video lectures, individual exercises, and a coaching webinar, this action-oriented program will enable you to build a strategy for leadership entry that includes engaging stakeholders, analyzing data, communicating an inclusive narrative, all with a commitment to human-centered leadership approaches.
Program time commitment is estimated at three hours per week, and session topics are outlined below:
- Week 1: Introducing Yourself and Goal-Setting As You Enter Your New Leadership Position
- Week 2: Stakeholder Engagement and Data Strategy
- Week 3: Leadership Entry Plan Development/Coaching/Feedback
- Week 4: Leadership Entry Plan Completion
- Analyze best practices that can inform the development of a strategic leadership entry plan for the upcoming school year
- Learn how to enhance your leadership practices with a focus on equity and human-centered design
- Develop techniques to introduce yourself, your values, and your goals to the stakeholders in your learning community with attention to identity
- Determine the data and insight you will need to collect with an emphasis on those who are most often marginalized
- Consider strategies for sense-making that lead to a more compassionate understanding
- Cultivate skills, strategies, and tactics for effective communications, including communications during crisis
Who Should Attend
- System- and district-level leaders
- State education administrators
- Nonprofit leaders
Senior Lecturer on Education
Jennifer Cheatham is a Senior Lecturer on Education, Director of the Public Education Leadership Project (PELP), and Faculty Chair of Building Your Entry Plan to Lead for Equity in Education
Fees & Policies
Participants receive a certificate of participation and a letter confirming clock hours of instruction. Payment or a purchase order must be received within 30 days of program acceptance, or upon receipt of the invoice if acceptance is within 30 days prior to the start of the program. Click here for more information on payment and financial aid.
Please click here for more information on our on-campus and online refund and withdrawal policies.
The Harvard Graduate School of Education reserves the right to change faculty or cancel programs at its discretion. In the unlikely event of program changes, the school is not responsible for non-refundable travel arrangements or other planning expenses incurred.