Gain new insights into tools, techniques, and financial concepts that can help you align and support your institution’s strategic goals.
COVID-19’s imprint on higher education has been felt far and wide — influencing how key stakeholders view the price, perceived value, and value proposition of higher education degrees. These factors have impacted the financial landscape of today’s colleges and universities as they grapple with increased competition for limited resources and face funding challenges for everything from financial aid to learning technologies.
Yet innovative leaders can leverage these complex financial circumstances into opportunity. Recent surveys of higher education leaders by Inside Higher Ed, Hanover Research, and Gallup revealed that 50 percent of college and university presidents and 47 percent of chief business officers working in higher education viewed today’s environment as an opportunity for growth and transformation. Aligning Strategic Priorities with Financial Resources in Higher Education is a new virtual institute that will help higher education leaders adapt to changing circumstances and develop the financial knowledge, skills, and tools needed to identify alternative approaches to strategic planning.
Aligning Strategic Priorities with Financial Resources in Higher Education is a three-week, virtual institute that combines cutting-edge research with practical application. The program is highly interactive, enabling you to engage with fellow participants and HGSE faculty as you participate in live sessions, discussion boards, and informal break-out sessions. The institute also includes readings, case studies, and daily reflections. You will have the opportunity to take part in action-planning exercises and a peer-review process that will lead to the development of an action plan for your institution. A description for each weekly module is below:
- Module 1: Introductions and Soundings from the Field
- Module 2: Strategic Finance Foundations and Levers: Supporting Institutional Transformation
- Module 3: Managing with Constrained Financial Resources and Action Planning
Schedule for Live Sessions and Office Hours
We strongly encourage live participation, as this will be the best opportunity to engage with your colleagues and faculty in the program. However, all sessions will be recorded and made available on the participant program website follow the session(s).
Live sessions with faculty will be held on the following dates from 12:00 – 2:00 p.m. ET. Some sessions may include an optional virtual office hour from 1:30 – 2:00 p.m. ET, whereas others will include content from 12:00 – 2:00 p.m. ET. The final schedule will be confirmed prior to orientation.
- *Optional Orientation Session - Friday, January 15: 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. ET
- Tuesday, January 19, 2021
- Thursday, January 21, 2021
- Tuesday, January 26, 2021
- Thursday, January 28, 2021
- Tuesday, February 2, 2021
- Thursday, February 4, 2021
- Gain a deeper understanding of the relationship between strategic choices and financial implications in higher education institutions
- Improve the use of financial information relative to strategic priorities within a resource-constrained environment
- Recognize how strategic finance foundations build institutional capacity and foster increased adaptability through creative solutions
- Learn to activate financial levers to enable strategic priorities and sustainability through resource allocation/reallocation
- Explore alternative approaches to strategic planning in higher education
Who Should Attend
- Higher education leaders, including:
- Department Chairs
- Financial Officers
- Education leaders responsible for strategic decision making and resource allocation