Educators have an ever-increasing stream of data at their fingertips. But how to use this data to improve teaching and learning — how to make it less overwhelming, more useful, and part of an effective collaborative process — can be challenging.
The Data Wise Project at the Harvard Graduate School of Education works with educators around the world to develop resources that support collaborative improvement of teaching and learning.
Data Wise Leadership Institute: January
On campus | January 8–12, 2018
An intensive yet more intimate experience on Harvard’s campus, the January institute will allow your team to get energized about the work of improvement by interacting face-to-face with the Data Wise teaching team, peers from diverse settings, and Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE) students who are committed to learning how to lead collaborative inquiry.
Data Wise Leadership Institute: June
On campus | June 18-22, 2018
An intensive experience on Harvard’s campus, this program will allow your team to get energized about the work of improvement by interacting face-to-face with the Data Wise teaching team and peers from diverse settings who are committed to learning how to lead collaborative inquiry.
Data Wise Leadership Institute: Online
Online | July 30–August 3, 2018
During this intensive week you will learn a step-by-step process for using wide range of data sources—from standardized tests to student work to observation of teaching practice—to improve instruction and student outcomes.
Data Wise in Action Program
Online | August 13–December 21, 2018
This four-month program is designed to support your team in working your way through all eight steps of the Data Wise Improvement Process in your setting.
Data Wise Coach Certification
Blended: On campus and Online | June 1, 2018–December 1, 2019
This program supports experienced Data Wise users in learning how to guide others through the Data Wise Improvement Process.
Click here to download a PDF of the full Data Wise Portfolio.
Data Wise: A Step-by-Step Guide to Using Assessment Results to Improve Teaching and Learning presents a clear and carefully tested blueprint for school leaders.
Data Wise in Action: Stories of Schools Using Data to Improve Teaching and Learning tells the stories of eight different schools following the Data Wise process.
Meeting Wise: Making the Most of Collaborative Time for Educators examines improving meetings as a high-leverage strategy for changing how people work together and offers tips for setting up, facilitating, and participating effectively in meetings.
Key Elements of Observing Practice (DVD) contains a series of short videos that invite you into classrooms and meeting rooms at the Richard J. Murphy School in Boston, a school that uses data wisely, and comes with a Facilitator's Guide for designing your own process for learning from classroom observation.
- Introduction to Data Wise, an short, self-paced open online learning experience that serves as the prerequisite for all Data Wise institutes and programs.
- The Data Wise Project website, providing protocols, the Data Wise Rubric, templates, checklists, software tutorials, and more.
- "Meetings Making Sense" on Usable Knowledge, HGSE's online resource that makes education research and best practices accessible to educators and policymakers at all levels, featuring the latest Data Wise content.
Sign up for the Data Wise Journeys e-newsletter to receive:
- Information about the latest resources developed by the Data Wise team
- Tools developed by schools and districts that are integrating Data Wise into their daily work
- Stories of successes and challenges that educators encounter on their Data Wise journeys