Educators have an ever-increasing stream of data at their fingertips. But how to use this data to improve teaching and learning — how to make it less overwhelming, more useful, and part of an effective collaborative process that informs instruction and supports all students in their learning — can be challenging.
The Data Wise Project at the Harvard Graduate School of Education works with educators around the world to develop resources that support collaborative improvement of teaching and learning. We help schools, districts, and organizations to cultivate the habits of mind, norms, and practices that support continuous improvement and lead to equitable outcomes for all students.
To support you in this challenging work, we have developed a learning pathway that provides you with an opportunity to explore the 8-steps of the Data Wise Improvement Process, to prepare to successfully launch the process in your setting, and to receive dedicated coaching over an academic year as you integrate Data Wise into your core work. You can also build your capacity to coach others in using the Data Wise process and then network with certified coaches to get the support you need to sustain and deepen your Data Wise work.
Please see below to learn more about the Data Wise learning pathway and enrolling teams in our programs. Click here to inquire about district/system-wide engagement in Data Wise through on-site workshops.
Introduction to Data Wise: A Collaborative Process to Improve Learning & Teaching is a free, online, self-paced course that is open to all, but is especially valuable for teachers and school and district leaders, as well as policymakers and educational entrepreneurs who are dedicated to improving outcomes for students. The course provides an overview of the Data Wise eight-step process and the habits of mind for collaborative data inquiry.
There are several ways to begin your engagement with Data Wise throughout the year, including on-campus and virtual engagements, as well as on-site opportunities. Learn more about current upcoming offerings below.
Data Wise: Using Collaborative Data Inquiry to Build Equitable Schools
- On Campus, Summer Term: June 12 - 16, 2023
- Australia, January 18 - 22, 2023
- Inquiry About On-Site Workshop(s) For System/District
This program supports your team in planning a thoughtful launch of the Data Wise Improvement Process in your setting. A rigorous experience, it will encourage your team to get energized about the work of improvement by interacting with the Data Wise teaching team and peers from diverse settings who are committed to learning how to lead collaborative inquiry.
Data Wise in Action Program
September 21, 2023 - April 26, 2024
This program provides dedicated virtual coaching during the school year and is designed to support your team as you work your way through all eight steps of the Data Wise Improvement Process in your setting.
Data Wise Coach Certification
May 3, 2023 - April 30. 2024
For graduates of the Data Wise Leadership Institute, this program prepares individuals to teach others about the Data Wise process, habits of mind, and norms and support teams in engaging in collaborative data inquiry cycles.
Data Wise Coach Network (DWN)
For certified Data Wise coaches, network membership involves:
- Being part of a community with a common purpose
- Problem-solving with peer experts who push your thinking via virtual professional learning series and DWN listserv
- Accessing the most up-to-date resources from Data Wise and the larger Data Wise Coach Network
- Enjoying recognition as a contributing member of a leading organization in the field of continuous improvement.
Data Wise: A Step-by-Step Guide to Using Assessment Results to Improve Teaching and Learning presents a clear and carefully tested blueprint for school leaders.
Data Wise in Action: Stories of Schools Using Data to Improve Teaching and Learning tells the stories of eight different schools following the Data Wise process.
Meeting Wise: Making the Most of Collaborative Time for Educators examines improving meetings as a high-leverage strategy for changing how people work together and offers tips for setting up, facilitating, and participating effectively in meetings.
Key Elements of Observing Practice (DVD) contains a series of short videos that invite you into classrooms and meeting rooms at the Richard J. Murphy School in Boston, a school that uses data wisely, and comes with a Facilitator's Guide for designing your own process for learning from classroom observation.
- Introduction to Data Wise, an short, self-paced open online learning experience that serves as the prerequisite for all Data Wise institutes and programs.
- The Data Wise Project website, providing protocols, the Data Wise Rubric, templates, checklists, software tutorials, and more.
- "Meetings Making Sense" on Usable Knowledge, HGSE's online resource that makes education research and best practices accessible to educators and policymakers at all levels, featuring the latest Data Wise content.
Sign up for the Data Wise Journeys e-newsletter to receive:
- Information about the latest resources developed by the Data Wise team
- Tools developed by schools and districts that are integrating Data Wise into their daily work
- Stories of successes and challenges that educators encounter on their Data Wise journeys