Academic Year 20-21: Accessing Materials and Using Services
Get support from a Gutman Library staff member:
- Check our FAQ. Your question may have already been answered.
- Use our Ask Us form. Gutman librarians will respond Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.
- Schedule a consultation. Schedule a Zoom appointment with a Research Librarian, Writing Services TF, or Communications Lab TF.
Access online materials:
- Use your Harvard Key to access many Gutman Library and Harvard Library materials online in HOLLIS.
- Review our quick tips for searching HOLLIS and specialized databases.
Access physical materials:
Borrow from Harvard libraries
- Pickup at Lamont Library is available by appointment for certain Harvard collections, including Widener, Lamont, and Gutman Library materials off-site at the Harvard Depository. For directions to the pickup area at Lamont Library and the full list of currently available collections, please see Borrowing Physical Collections.
- No access to or borrowing of physical materials held at the Gutman Library is possible while HGSE campus remains closed.
Borrow from our partner libraries
- BorrowDirect services for borrowing physical material from partner libraries is not available. Follow Harvard Library for latest updates.
- Interlibrary Loan services for borrowing physical material from partner libraries is not available. ILL scanning for articles and chapters may be requested – see below. Follow Harvard Library for latest updates.
Request scans from Harvard libraries
- Scan & Deliver requests for digital copies of articles and book chapters are possible for certain Harvard collections, including Widener, Lamont, and Gutman Library materials off-site at the Harvard Depository. For the full list of collections currently available for scanning, please see the Harvard Library Scan & Deliver update.
- No access to or scanning of physical materials held at the Gutman Library is possible while HGSE campus remains closed.
Request scans from our partner libraries
- Interlibrary Loan requests for digital copies of articles and book chapters from our partner libraries are possible, though with anticipated delays.
- Gutman Library: returns can be dropped off at Gutman Library using the exterior book drop at the building’s front entrance. There are no staff on-site to check materials back in, so materials will continue to appear in your HOLLIS account, and you may continue to receive automated notices from the circulation system. Ask Us if you have questions.
- Widener Library: returns can be dropped off or delivered to Widener Library using the Massachusetts Avenue entrance. Review Widener Library return procedures before returning materials.
Latest Harvard Library updates
- Visit the Harvard Library Coronavirus webpage for updates on the status and services of other libraries on campus, including FAS, GSD, HDS, HGSE, HLS, HMS, and HKS. You can also check each school’s website for updated information on closures.
Request new library purchases:
Gutman Library will be filling purchase requests, including required course materials, in digital format only while campus remains closed. Please continue to use our purchase request form to submit your requests, and we will contact you to further discuss your submission.
Prepare course materials (for faculty and teaching teams):
Review our step-by-step guide on placing materials on Course Reserves to learn more about how we support remote teaching for faculty and teaching teams.