Summer 2021: Accessing Materials and Using Services
Get support from a Gutman Library staff member:
- Check our FAQ. Your question may have already been answered.
- Use our Ask Us form. Gutman librarians will respond Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. EST.
- Schedule a consultation. Schedule a Zoom appointment with a Research Librarian, Writing Services TF, or Communications Lab TF.
Access online materials:
- Use your Harvard Key to access many Gutman Library and Harvard Library materials online in HOLLIS.
- Review our quick tips for searching HOLLIS and specialized databases.
Access physical materials:
Borrow from Harvard libraries
- Pickup at Lamont Library and Countway Library is available by appointment for certain Harvard collections, including Widener, Lamont, and Gutman Library. For the full list of currently available collections, please see Borrowing Physical Collections.
Borrow from our partner libraries
- BorrowDirect and Interlibrary Loan services for borrowing physical material from partner libraries is available.
Request scans from Harvard libraries
- Scan & Deliver requests for digital copies of articles and book chapters are possible for certain Harvard collections, including Widener, Lamont, and Gutman Library materials. For the full list of collections currently available for scanning, please see the Harvard Library Scan & Deliver update.
Request scans from our partner libraries
- Interlibrary Loan requests for digital copies of articles and book chapters from our partner libraries are possible, though with anticipated delays.
- Gutman Library: returns can be dropped off at Gutman Library using the exterior book drop at the building’s front entrance. Because of limited on-site staff, please anticipate delays in processing returns. Materials may continue to appear in your HOLLIS account, and you may continue to receive automated notices from the circulation system. We are processing materials as quickly as possible within COVID-19 constraints. Ask Us if you have questions.
- Widener Library: returns from any library can be dropped off using the Massachusetts Avenue entrance or mailed to: Widener Library, c/o Access Services, 1 Harvard Yard, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138. Review Widener Library return procedures before returning materials.
Latest Harvard Library updates
- Visit the Harvard Library Coronavirus webpage for updates on the status and services of other libraries on campus, including FAS, GSD, HDS, HGSE, HLS, HMS, and HKS. You can also check each school’s website for updated information on closures.
Request new library purchases:
Gutman Library will be filling purchase requests, including required course materials, in digital format only while campus remains closed. Please continue to use our purchase request form to submit your requests, and we will contact you to further discuss your submission.
Prepare course materials (for faculty and teaching teams):
Review our step-by-step guide on placing materials on Course Reserves to learn more about how we support remote teaching for faculty and teaching teams.