The Student-Alumni Mentoring Initiative (SAMI) at HGSE pairs current students and alumni for a year-long mentorship that focuses on personal and professional development, as well as career and network building. Through this effort, SAMI hopes to deepen connections within the HGSE community, and to inspire a community of mentors dedicated to fostering growth and development as educators and lifelong learners.
Most SAMI mentors are based in the Cambridge / Boston area, but this year the SAMI program also offers a number of remote mentoring opportunities for alumni in Washington, D.C., and the San Francisco Bay area. In both cases, the aim of the experience is to establish supportive mentoring relationships between students and alumni during their time on Appian Way, and connections that will endure long after graduation.
Program Details and Expectations of Participants
Mentors and mentees will facilitate communication on a regular, mutually-agreed upon basis throughout the academic year. Although relationships and responsibilities will vary depending on the mentor/mentee relationship and needs, participants commit to fulfill the following expectations over the course of the academic year:
- Communicate approximately two times per month using whichever method is best for the pair (i.e. email, phone, in-person, or video conferencing)
- Initiate communication with your mentor/mentee if you have not heard from him/her for an extended period of time, e.g. 3 weeks
- Arrange in-person meetings at least a few times throughout the year (this may not be possible with remote mentoring relationships, but can be replaced with online video chats)
- Communicate progress, questions, or concerns with program staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read the SAMI newsletter to find out about news and events at HGSE and in the community which could be of interest to your mentor/mentee
- Mentors and mentees are also welcome to share news and events for the rest of the SAMI community by contacting email@example.com