Professional Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE) offers a suite of online programs designed to support educators at all levels with best practices learned from HGSE’s teaching and research to help tackle their biggest challenges.
In response to the current public health crisis and the worldwide demonstrations calling for racial and social justice, HGSE Professional Education has developed new and redesigned online programs tailored to meet the critical needs of educators in this moment. Our programs are designed for teachers, leaders, and policymakers across early education, K-12, and higher education contexts. Additionally our programs are in a variety of formats, ranging from short-term asynchronous online workshops to longer, virtual institutes featuring live webinars, to accommodate many different learning preferences and schedules.
Our two- to six-week-long online workshops allow educators to explore a highly relevant key concept or practice in education in a short period. Most of our short online workshops are fully asynchronous, where the learning experience is on your schedule, and you can access program material at any time convenient for you. A few of our online workshops offer synchronous learning and involve live learning experiences.
Workshop topics range from Ensuring Success for All, to Developing Strategies for Online Teaching and Learning, Articulating the Intangibles of Teaching: Aligning Your Purpose and Practice for Instructional Leadership, to Educating Global Citizens, and many more. Explore the full list of online workshops here.
Our in-depth online programs allow you to explore HGSE research and proven practices over 12 to 13 weeks. These longer form programs offer a job-embedded and asynchronous learning experience with support from an online learning facilitator. You will learn proven strategies, tools, frameworks, and pedagogies and start the implementation process while in course.
- Differentiated Instruction Made Practical
- Project Zero Online Courses
- Developing Myself: A Certificate of Advanced Leadership Module
- Driving Change: A Certificate of Advanced Leadership Module
- Leading for Excellence and Equity: A Certificate of Advanced Leadership Module
- Leading Learning: A Certificate of Advanced Leadership Module
- Managing Evidence: A Certificate of Advanced Leadership Module
Team participation is encouraged but not necessary for most courses.
With both synchronous and asynchronous components, Virtual Institutes aim to create a space to connect with facilitators and colleagues directly with facilitated discussions, job-embedded practices, and plenary sessions led by Harvard Graduate School of Education faculty. Upcoming virtual institutes include:
- Strategies for Effective Facilitation
- Data Wise: Using Collaborative Data Inquiry to Build Equitable Schools
- Ensuring Equitable Student Success in Higher Education
- Aligning Strategic Priorities with Financial Resources in Higher Education
- Crisis Leadership in Higher Education
Synchronous and recorded, Professional Education webinar series cover the most pressing topics on education right now, and are meant to quickly address the drastically changing needs of educators. Webinars include facilitated discussion time to connect with colleagues from across the world.
- Big Ideas on Little Screens: Talks on Teaching Today
- HGSE Education Now Webinars
- HGSE Future of Education Online Convenings
Professional Education currently offers three online certificate programs that address critical issues of practice for education leaders at different levels and settings. Each program contains multiple modules that combine both theory and practice. It may take a year or longer to complete all requirements to receive the certificate.
- Certificate in Advanced Education Leadership (CAEL)
Designed for current and aspiring district- and system-level leaders.
- Certificate in School Management Leadership (CSML)
Designed for Principals and School Leaders
- Certificate in Early Education Leadership (CEEL)
Designed for Early Childhood Leaders and Educators