This spring, many Harvard Graduate School of Education faculty, students, and alumni were recognized with awards, fellowships, and scholarship acknowledgements.
Here’s a look at some of the prestigious honors bestowed upon members of the HGSE community:
- Spencer Dissertation Fellowships were awarded to doctoral candidates Ling Hsiao, Ed.M.’01, for her research entitled “Decisions Under Uncertainty: How Teachers Move Discussions Toward Student Learning and Participation;” Ben Castleman for his research entitled “Assistance in the 11th Hour: Experimental Interventions to Mitigate Summer Attrition among College-Intending High School Graduates;" and Adrienne Keene, Ed.M.'10, for her research entitled "'College Pride, Native Pride' and Education for Nation Building: Portraits of Native Students Navigating Freshman Year."
- Assistant Professor Gigi Luk received a 2013 postdoctoral fellowship from the National Academy of Education for research about the cognitive consequences of bilingualism as it extends across the lifespan.
- Kam Sripada, Ed.M.’10, received a Fulbright grant to study in Norway where she will join a team researching children’s brain development using diffusion tensor imaging and behavioral assessment over time, as part of the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study.
- Doctoral candidate Christina Dobbs was announced as the Jeanne S. Chall Doctoral Student Award for her dissertation entitled “The Use of Academic Language Markers in Middle Grade Persuasive Essays: Using Academic Vocabulary and Markers of Organization and Stance.”
- Debra Gittler, Ed.M.’10, was chosen as the first 2013 Echoing Green Fellow for her nonprofit ConTextos, which focuses on transforming the quality of education in El Salvador.
- Professor Eleanor Duckworth received an honorary degree from Colby College
- Professor Paul Reville received an honorary degree from Lesley University and the 2013 Massachusetts Friend to Educator award.
- Professor Paul Harris received the 2013 Cognitive Development Society Book Award for his recently published book, Trusting What You’re Told.