There are numerous considerations to make when choosing a graduate program and cost is certainly one of them. Learn more about HGSE's academic programs in addition to our tuition and cost of attendance.
The following tuition and fee charges are in effect for the 2021-2022 academic year and are subject to change for future years. Tuition and fee charges for the 2022-2023 academic year are published in early 2022.
|FULL-TIME STUDENTS||Per Academic Year||$ 51,904|
|PART-TIME STUDENTS||Per Academic Year||$ 25,952|
|ADVANCED DOCTORAL FEE (FOR DOCTORAL
STUDENTS WHO HAVE FULFILLED THE TUITION REQUIREMENTS)
|Per Term/Semester||$ 2,595|
|HEALTH INSURANCE FEES (STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN + STUDENT HEALTH FEE)||Per Academic Year||$ 5,282|
Cost of Attendance
Please note the Standard Student Budget includes actual tuition and fee amounts as well as estimated allowances for related educational expenses. Tuition and Health Insurance Fees are expenses that are directly billed to students, while all other categories are estimated allowances that should not be exceeded. Financial aid eligibility is determined using the standard following cost estimates.
|Standard Ed.M. & C.A.S. Budget for the 2021-2022 Academic Year (9 months)||Full-Time||Part-Time|
|TUITION*||$ 51,904||$ 25,952|
|RENT, UTILITIES, & FOOD||$ 21,130||$ 21,130|
|HEALTH INSURANCE FEES*||$ 5,282||$ 5,282|
|BOOKS & SUPPLIES||$ 866||$ 432|
|PERSONAL EXPENSES||$ 4,240||$ 4,240|
|TRANSPORTATION||$ 1,422||$ 1,422|
|FEDERAL LOAN FEES (U.S. Citizens & Permanent Residents Only)||$ 216||$ 216|
|TOTAL Ed.M. STUDENT BUDGET||$ 85,060||$ 58,674|
*See below for information on tuition, fees, and part-time policies.
|Standard Full-Time Ed.D. Student Budget for the 2021-2022 Academic Year (9 months)|
|Ed.D. Budget Year 6 & Beyond|
|RENT, UTILITIES, & FOOD||$ 21,130|
|HEALTH INSURANCE FEES*||$ 5,282|
|BOOKS & SUPPLIES||$ 866|
|RESEARCH EXPENSES||$ 2,592|
|PERSONAL EXPENSES||$ 4,240|
|TOTAL Ed.D. STUDENT BUDGET||$ 39,300|
*See below for information on tuition and fees.
|Standard Full-Time Ed.L.D. Student Budget for the 2021-2022 Academic Year (9 months)|
|Ed.L.D. Budget Year 1||Ed.L.D. Budget Year 2||Ed.L.D. Budget Year 3|
|TUITION*||$ 51,904^||$ 51,904^||$ 25,952^|
|ROOM & BOARD||$ 21,130||$ 21,130||$ 21,130|
|HEALTH INSURANCE FEES*||$ 5,282^||$ 5,282^||$ 5,282^|
|BOOKS & SUPPLIES||$ 866||$ 866||---|
|PERSONAL EXPENSES||$ 4,240||$ 4,240||$ 4,240|
|LOCAL TRANSPORTATION||---||---||$ 1,422|
|TOTAL Ed.L.D. STUDENT BUDGET||$ 83,422||$ 83,422||$ 58,026|
*See below for information on tuition and fees.
^admitted Ed.L.D. students receive guaranteed funding to pay these charges in years 1-3
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and fee costs are subject to change and are determined each year. Please be aware that future tuition costs, fees, and standard student budget amounts may differ from year to year. Updated figures will be published on this website and in future editions of the Financing Your Education guide, which is updated on a yearly basis. Information regarding health insurance fees, coverage, and waivers can be found on the Harvard University Student Health Program website. Information regarding billing and payment dates can be found through Harvard Student Accounts.
Full-Time Student Tuition and Course Credit Policies
- Students must register for a minimum of 12 credits per semester in the fall (excluding summer, January Term, and May Term time periods).
- Students may register for a maximum of 20 credits per semester.
- Students must meet the minimum requirement of 32 credits to earn their degree, and may not exceed a total of 40 credits (please note: How People Learn does not count toward the credit maximum; for those who complete How People Learn, their credit total cannot exceed 44).
Part-Time Student Tuition and Course Credit Policies
- Students must register for a minimum of 6 credits per semester (excluding summer, January Term, and May Term time periods).
- Students may register for a maximum of 10 credits per semester.
- Students must meet the minimum requirement of 32 credits to earn their degree.
- Credits for courses taken during May, June, or July do not count toward the fall or spring semester minimums.
- January term credits are counted as part of the spring semester.
- Students will complete the degree program in two years.
Note: Unless on financial aid, students admitted as part-time students or changing to part-time status prior to June 3, 2020 are not subject to these minimum and maximum credit requirements and may take up to three years to complete the degree program. They will also have tuition for How People Learn, taken during June-July 2020, added to their fall term bill.
Questions regarding tuition and course credit policies can be directed to the HGSE Office of the Registrar.