The Middle East Professional Learning Initiative Fellowship
The application cycle for the 2023 MEPLI Fellowship is now open with a deadline of Sunday, December 4.
The Middle East Professional Learning Initiative (MEPLI) Fellowship supports educators committed to advancing teacher education systemically in the contexts in which they serve.
The MEPLI Fellowship is a year-long (January–December), job-embedded program that provides teacher educators from Jordan, Lebanon, and Palestine with scholarships for Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE) Professional Education learning experiences. The program also supports Fellows as they incorporate their learning into existing work and disseminate knowledge within their organizations and networks.
The MEPLI Fellowship is designed around a participating teacher-educators’ problem of practice. In collaboration with MEPLI staff, Fellows will select and participate in a series of programs from the Professional Education portfolio and work through their problems of practice in collaboration with other MEPLI Fellows. The Fellowship builds a community for teacher educators to share knowledge, expertise, and experience, through which they devise and disseminate practices to strengthen the teaching force in the contexts in which they serve.
Since 2018, 157 MEPLI Fellows from Jordan, Lebanon, and Palestine have benefited in the program, which is funded by a generous gift to the school.
The selection process involves submission of an online application and participation in an interview. English proficiency is required.
The Fellowship comprises the following activities:
- Participation in HGSE Professional Education programs. We intend for the 2023 Fellowship to be a hybrid experience of both virtual and on-campus programs.
- Participation in the MEPLI Fellows online network, which includes webinars and workshops hosted by MEPLI Conveners (past Fellows) and HGSE faculty
- Contextualizing relevant learning content and sharing it with teachers within your network
- Participation in MEPLI convenings in the region
- Supporting Fellows in future cohorts
- Identifying and working with a sponsor (a colleague or supervisor) who will support your participation in the Fellowship program. This requires meeting at least quarterly with the sponsor to report and reflect on your progress
The Fellowship provides scholarship funds for up to three courses. All fellows will complete Leading Learning, an online program beginning in February and ending in May. After successful completion of Leading Learning, Fellows will complete one to two additional programs of their choosing, as long as the selections are relevant to the Fellow’s problem of practice and learning goals.
This Fellowship only funds professional education programs that fall under the K-12 category.
Fellows will receive a certificate from HGSE Professional Education upon successful completion of the MEPLI program in addition to the certificate granted by each individual program in which they participate.
Who Should Participate
Teacher educators in Jordan, Lebanon, and Palestine with experience in teacher training and development in the context of schools, higher education, government programs, or NGOs.
Note that in addition to the MEPLI Fellowship, Professional Education devises unique fellowship programs for education leaders. If you are interested in learning more, please contact us.