The deadline to apply to the Ph.D. in Education for fall 2022 enrollment has now passed. The application for Fall 2023 enrollment will be available on the GSAS website starting in early fall 2022. The list below is provided for planning purposes, but actual application requirements may change for the 2023-2024 academic year.
A complete application to the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Education typically consists of the following, submitted to the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS).
- Online application form (accessed through the GSAS website)
- Résumé/curriculum vitae
- Statement of Purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- Standardized test score(s):
- GRE - must be sent directly to GSAS, institution code 3451
- TOEFL or IELTS (if applicable) - must be sent directly to GSAS: institution code 3451 for TOEFL; specify Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences for IELTS
- Transcript(s) from each postsecondary institution attended: uploaded copy of each transcript with the online application
- $105 application fee (paid via credit card with the online application)
- Supplemental form for the Ph.D. in Education
Once all applications have been reviewed, HGSE will invite selected Ph.D. applicants for a required online interview with members of the admissions committee. Interview dates will be in January, with precise dates to be determined.
Ph.D. applicants who wish to be considered for admission to an Ed.M. program, if they are not admitted to the program to which they applied, should indicate their interest in an Ed.M. referral on their online application. Shortly after the Ph.D. application deadline, they will receive an email from the HGSE Admissions Office, asking them to select a specific Ed.M. program (and strand, if applicable) and provide a statement regarding their referral interest.