Engage with expert faculty and leaders from across the country to reflect on the past year, assess what is needed for the year ahead, and make preparations to address urgent challenges.
In the past year, our communities have been challenged and stretched in unprecedented ways. From navigating a global pandemic to confronting social injustice, school leaders have been tested as they were asked to do the impossible: respond to federal, state, and local guidelines; mitigate learning loss despite rampant disparities, and support a wide range of stakeholders from students and their families to staff dealing with both academic and personal stress. All this while tending to their own well-being and personal commitments.
The Path Forward: School Leadership Today is a new school leadership program designed to support principals as they build plans for the coming school year. Together with Harvard faculty, participants will reflect on the challenges and triumphs of this past year as they identify a priority area of focus for their school in the year ahead. Informed by best practices and research-based techniques, participants will work collaboratively to make sense of the past year, hone a problem of practice, and develop a school improvement plan they can put into action right away.
Topics will include:
- School leadership best practices
- Social and emotional learning
- Instructional leadership and accelerated learning
- Racial and social justice
This program features a mix of asynchronous learning and synchronous sessions. Each day, you will gather together online for three hours of live sessions with faculty and facilitators to apply your learning in practice, test ideas and problem solve, and hone your leadership skills. Through plenary sessions, facilitated group discussions, and personal reflection, you will develop a customized improvement agenda for you and your school and will be prepared to tackle the challenges ahead.
Please note that live sessions will occur on Monday, June 14 - Thursday, June 17 and Monday, June 21 - Thursday, June 24. Specific session times will be posted shortly.
- Examine the beliefs, cultural shifts, and instructional strategies needed to promote high student achievement
- Learn how to transform school culture and foster high-quality instruction
- Learn effective practices for closing opportunity gaps and creating a more inclusive learning environment
- Identify leadership roles and strategies to improve your school’s instructional core
Who Should Participate
- Principals and assistant principals
- Department heads, instructional coaches, and other school-based leaders
- School- and district-based teams are encouraged to apply