Learn a step-by-step process for using a range of data sources to improve instruction and student outcomes within your school or district.
Data Wise Leadership Institute: January
“When schools create a collaborative culture around data use—when they use data not to point fingers but to inform collective decisions—something powerful can happen.” — Kathryn Boudett, Faculty Co-Chair
What would it look like, feel like, and sound like if schools were filled with educators capable of collaborating so ALL students thrive? What are practical tools that can be used to build equitable schools?
Making sense of data is critical, but so too is the process for ensuring this data impacts teaching and learning. Data Wise provides the tools and protocols to enable you and your colleagues to engage in an effective collaborative process around data.
The Data Wise Improvement Process provides a clear, carefully tested blueprint that teachers, school leaders, and system-level leaders can use to examine a wide range of data and catalyze conversations that drive instructional improvement. The Data Wise Leadership Institute prepares teams to plan a thoughtful launch of this inquiry process in their own settings. There are three ways for your team to participate in the Data Wise Leadership Institute: on-campus in January, on-campus in June, or by virtual onsite as your team meets together at a location of your choosing in July.
In response to high demand, we are now offering a January version of the Data Wise Leadership Institute that provides a more intimate experience on Harvard’s campus. During this intensive week, your school or system-level team will interact face-to-face with the Data Wise teaching team, peers from diverse settings, and Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE) students who are committed to learning how to lead collaborative inquiry. This program is designed to leverage the experiences of HGSE students and practitioners and to promote learning both within and across these groups.
The January institute covers the same topics as the June program but allows more independent team time for collaboration and provides access to a shared teaching fellow. Through case studies, large group presentations, and small group discussions, participants will analyze the challenges and successes experienced by a diverse group of school leaders engaged in this work.
We strongly recommend that teams also enroll in the Data Wise in Action Program, where you will receive four months of continued support from a dedicated Data Wise coach as you implement the inquiry process in your own school or system. Teams applying for both programs will be given preference during the admissions process and participants in the leadership institute receive a discount for the Data Wise In Action Program in the same calendar year.
- Explore how the Data Wise Improvement Process brings coherence to the core work of schools
- Cultivate the habits of mind that improve team effectiveness and foster a supportive culture of improvement
- Practice using a series of inquiry protocols that you can bring back to your faculty
- Learn to lead collaborative analysis of a wide range of data sources, including annual standardized tests, periodic formative assessments, daily student work, and observation of classroom practice
- Create a plan for integrating the Data Wise Improvement Process into your daily work
Who Should Attend
- School teams of four or more people comprised of a principal, at least two teachers, and one or more other educators in leadership roles. Preference will be given to teams that include at least one curriculum and instruction specialist, such as a literacy or mathematics coach
- District teams of four or more people comprised of central office staff members responsible for supporting schools in using data to improve teaching and learning (e.g., data coaches, instructional coaches, directors of curriculum and instruction)
- District teams of four or more people comprised of committed senior leadership and multiple school-based teams that can serve as example sites for other schools
Please note: Teams who value the additional networking opportunities that a larger-scale, more formal, and exclusively practitioner-focused institute provide are encouraged to attend the June on-campus institute. Teams who want the flexibility and convenience to meet in their own space without travel are encouraged to enroll in the online institute.
Senior Lecturer on Education
Kathryn Boudett is the faculty co-chair of the Data Wise Leadership Institute: January, Data Wise Leadership Institute: June, Data Wise Leadership Institute: Australia, Data Wise Leadership Institute: Online, Data Wise in Action Program, and Data Wise Coach Certification, and the Data Wise Coach Network.
Fees & Policies
Participants receive a certificate of participation and a letter confirming clock hours of instruction. Payment or a purchase order must be received within 30 days of program acceptance, or upon receipt of the invoice if acceptance is within 30 days prior to the start of the program. Click here for more information on payment and financial aid.
Please click here for more information on our on-campus and online refund and withdrawal policies.
The Harvard Graduate School of Education reserves the right to change faculty or cancel programs at its discretion. In the unlikely event of program changes, the school is not responsible for non-refundable travel arrangements or other planning expenses incurred.