"We have to re-engineer the expectations of our children; instill in them the belief that there are no limits to their aspirations. That will take a quality education. It will take inspiring teachers and modern curricula that teach them the skills of an entrepreneur: critical thinking, team work, problem solving, initiative, communication, and leadership. Because the skills of an entrepreneur are the skills of a 21st century worker." — Queen Rania, World Economic Forum 2011
The Middle East Professional Learning Initiative (MEPLI), an initiative of Professional Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE), launched in January 2017 enabled by a generous gift from a family interested in expanding opportunities for professional learning at HGSE for educators in the Middle East. The initiative aims to support teacher educators and system-level leaders in developing practices, programs, and structures to help improve student opportunities to learn and achieve productive, sustainable lives.
- Develop courses that enhance educators’ knowledge of pedagogies that enhance students’ 21st century skills.
- Develop a cohort of teacher educators and their networks, with skills to facilitate and advance teaching 21st century skills.
- Support the capacity building of system-level leaders in the teacher development field.
- Support institutions that offer teaching credentials to enhance their programs, building on their existing strengths.
- Support the development of case studies that are based on problems of practice in school leadership or teacher development in the Middle East.
MEPLI operates through collaboration with organizations in the region. A partial list of collaborating organizations is below.
- Queen Rania Teacher's Academy (QRTA)
- Teach for Lebanon (TFL)
- United Nations Relief and Work Agency (UNRWA)
- Khutwa/ Hani Al Qaddumi Scholarship Foundation
- Fernando Reimers, Ford Foundation Professor of Practice in International Education, HGSE
- Sarah Dryden-Peterson, Associate Professor of Education, HGSE
- Katherine Merseth, Senior Lecturer on Education Faculty Director, Teacher Education, HGSE
- The Middle East Professional Learning Initiative Fellowship
- A Discussion with “We Love Reading” Founder, Dr. Rana Dajani
- Frequently Asked Questions for the Middle East Professional Learning Initiative Fellowship
- Middle East Professional Learning Initiative Announces 2019 Fellowship