Library Access and Borrowing
- After graduation, HGSE alumni may continue to use Gutman Library and to borrow materials from the collection when the physical library re-opens. To apply for a Gutman library card, please fill out the HGSE Alumni Library Card Form. Note: We will not be able to process alumni cards until after the physical library re-opens. Please provide a permanent mailing address.
- To update your contact information, please use the online Change of Address Form.
Other Harvard Alumni
- Alumni of other Harvard schools may present identification at the front desk and sign in to use materials from Gutman's Collections in the library. For borrowing privileges at Gutman, other alumni may purchase a Gutman Library Special Borrower card. Please see information on Special Borrower cards.
Privileges for HGSE Alumni at Other Harvard Libraries
HGSE alumni are welcome to visit Harvard's libraries.
Harvard libraries' special collections and archives are open to all researchers regardless of current academic affiliation.
Each library has its own requirements for alumni access and borrowing privileges, so when planning a visit we encourage you to contact a library directly or contact the Privileges Office via email or phone at 617-495-4166.
Electronic Resources for HGSE Alumni
At Gutman Library
- While visiting the library, HGSE graduates may use a library workstation to access e-resources at Harvard, including education and psychology databases.
Off-site Access to Electronic Resources
- To support the work of all Harvard alumni, the Harvard Library offers a curated collection of online resources. This collection includes an EBSCO alumni database, JSTOR, ABI/Inform (business), and many more resources.
- Have a citation and looking for full text? Best bets for HGSE grads: EBSCO Academic Search Alumni Edition, JSTOR, Project Muse, and Sage Journals.
- Access to the full list of online resources for alumni is available on the Harvard Library Alumni page.
- Use of all alumni resources requires a HarvardKey. More information about the HarvardKey.
- Tip: Visit the open access ERIC site to locate full-text articles from many education journals.
- Use the HOLLIS "Library Catalog" search to find books, journals and more. For access to full-text articles, alumni should search the resources on the Harvard Library Alumni page.
- Special Borrowers may renew books by using the Book Renewal Form.
- HGSE Alumni: Resources for Educators at Work offers additional tips on finding education statistics, funding sources, or experts.
Electronic Resources available through Public Libraries
- Many public libraries throughout the country provide access to electronic resources within their library and remotely. Contact your local public library for more information or check their website. Most Massachusetts residents can access a number of online databases through Massachusetts Libraries, using the barcode on their public library card.
Research Consultations and Questions
Overwhelmed by choices? Need help researching a new subject area? Contact Research Services. We can work with you via e-mail, phone, or in person. Consider making a one-hour appointment to work with us on your topic (617-495-3421 or email: Ask Us form).