Library Access and Borrowing
- After graduation, HGSE alumni may continue to use the library and to borrow materials from the collection. To apply for a library card, please fill out the HGSE Alumni Library Card Form. To update your contact information, please use the online Change of Address Form.
Other Harvard Alumni
- Alumni of other Harvard schools may present identification at the front desk and sign in to use materials from Gutman's Collections in the library. For borrowing privileges at Gutman, other alumni may purchase a Gutman Library Special Borrower card. Please see information on Special Borrower cards.
Privileges for HGSE Alumni at Other Harvard Libraries
For information about alumni use of other Harvard libraries, please consult Visiting the Harvard Library.
Electronic Resources for HGSE Alumni
At Gutman Library
- While visiting the library, HGSE graduates have full access to all of the electronic resources available on site, including education and psychology databases, and to thousands of other research databases, electronic journals, newspapers, and more.
Off-site Access to Electronic Resources
- To support the work of all Harvard alumni, the Harvard Library offers a curated collection of online resources. This collection includes an EBSCO alumni database (previously offered through Gutman Library), JSTOR, ABI/Inform (business), and many more resources. These alumni resources replace your HOLLIS+ full-text access to articles.
- Have a citation and looking for full text? Best bets for HGSE grads: EBSCO Academic Search Alumni Edition, JSTOR, Project Muse, and Sage Journals.
- Access to the full list of online resources for alumni is available on the Harvard Library Alumni page.
- Use of all alumni resources requires a HarvardKey. More information about the HarvardKey.
- Tip: Visit the open access ERIC site for full-text articles in some education journals.
- Use the HOLLIS "Library Catalog" search to find books, journals and more. For access to full-text articles, alumni should search the resources on the Harvard Library Alumni page.
- Special Borrowers may renew books by using the Book Renewal Form.
- RefWorks is an online tool designed to help researchers manage references and generate citations and bibliographies, is available free to alumni. Learn how to register for a Harvard alumni RefWorks account.
- HGSE Alumni: Resources for Educators at Work offers additional tips on finding education statistics, funding sources, or experts.
Electronic Resources available through Public Libraries
- Many public libraries throughout the country provide access to electronic resources within their library and remotely. Contact your local public library for more information or check their website. Most Massachusetts residents can access a number of online databases through Massachusetts Library Networks, using the barcode on their public library card.
Research Consultations and Questions
Overwhelmed by choices? Need help researching a new subject area? Contact Research and Instruction Services — we can work with you via e-mail, on the phone, or in person. Consider making a one-hour appointment to work with us on your topic
Email: Ask Us form