Library Access and Borrowing
- After graduation, HGSE alumni may continue to use Gutman Library and to borrow materials from the collection when the physical library re-opens.
- For alumni with a pre-2020 HGSE Special Borrower Card, please use the online Change of Address Form to update your contact information.
Other Harvard Alumni
- When Gutman Library re-opens post-pandemic, alumni of other Harvard schools may present identification at the 1st floor entrance desk and sign in with security. Proceed to the 2nd floor for direction on how to use Gutman's Collections.
Privileges for HGSE Alumni at Other Harvard Libraries
As of June 1, 2021 and the post-pandemic re-opening of Harvard’s other libraries, HGSE alumni are welcome to visit Harvard's other libraries, and they may borrow from those libraries’ print collections.
Harvard libraries' special collections and archives are open to researchers regardless of academic affiliation.
Each library has its own requirements for use and access, so when planning a visit we encourage you to contact a library directly or contact the Privileges Office via email or phone at 617-495-4166.
Browse all library locations and hours (scroll down this page).
Electronic Resources for HGSE Alumni
At Gutman Library
- While visiting the library, all alumni may use a library workstation to access e-resources (databases, e-books, etc.) available to the current Harvard University community.
Off-site Access to Electronic Resources
- To support the work of all Harvard alumni, the Harvard Library offers a curated collection of online resources. This collection includes an alumni-specific version of the EBSCO Academic Search database, JSTOR, ABI/Inform (business), and many more resources.
- Have a citation and looking for full text? Best bets for HGSE grads: EBSCO Academic Search Alumni Edition, JSTOR, Project Muse, and Sage Journals.
- Access to the full list of online resources for alumni is available on the Harvard Library Alumni page.
- Use of all alumni resources requires a HarvardKey. More information about the HarvardKey.
- Tip: Visit the open access ERIC site to locate full-text articles from many education journals.
- Use the HOLLIS "Library Catalog" search to find books, journals and more. For access to full-text articles, alumni should search the resources on the Harvard Library Alumni page.
- Special Borrowers (a designation used pre-2020) may renew books by using the Book Renewal Form.
- HGSE Alumni: Resources for Educators at Work offers additional tips on finding education statistics, funding sources, or experts.
Electronic Resources available through Public Libraries
- Many public libraries throughout the country provide access to electronic resources within their library and remotely. Contact your local public library for more information or check their website. Most Massachusetts residents can access online databases through Massachusetts Libraries, using the barcode on their public library card.
Research Consultations and Questions
Overwhelmed by choices? Need help researching a new subject area? Contact Research Services. We can work with you via e-mail, phone, or in person. Consider making a one-hour appointment to work with us on your topic (617-495-3421 or email: Ask Us form).