Library Access and Borrowing
- HGSE alumni and other visitors who do not have a currently active HUID do not have access to the HGSE campus. (See HGSE Vistor Policy.)
- HGSE alumni with an active borrowing account may request materials from the collection through HOLLIS to be picked up from the Lamont Library Pickup Service.
- HGSE alumni — including those with a pre-2020 HGSE Special Borrower Card — may obtain borrowing privileges by completing an application online through the Harvard Library Privileges Office here.
Other Harvard Alumni and Visitors
- When Gutman Library re-opens to visitors and alumni of other Harvard schools, visitors and alumni must present identification at the 1st floor entrance desk and sign in with security.
- Gutman Library’s Special Collections and archives are not currently open to alumni or visitors.
Other Harvard Libraries
Each library has its own requirements for use and access, so when planning use of another library we encourage you to contact a library directly or the Privileges Office via email or phone at 617-495-4166.
Browse all library locations and hours (scroll down this page).
Electronic Resources for HGSE Alumni
Off-site Access to Electronic Resources
- To support the work of all Harvard alumni, the Harvard Library offers a curated collection of online resources. This collection includes an alumni-specific version of the EBSCO Academic Search database, JSTOR, ABI/Inform (business), and many more resources.
- Have a citation and looking for full text? Best bets for HGSE grads: EBSCO Academic Search Alumni Edition, JSTOR, Project Muse, and Sage Journals.
- Access to the full list of online resources for alumni is available on the Harvard Library Alumni page.
- Use of all alumni resources requires a HarvardKey. More information about the HarvardKey.
- Tip: Visit the open access ERIC site to locate full-text articles from many education journals.
- Use the HOLLIS "Library Catalog" search to find books, journals and more. For access to full-text articles, alumni should search the resources on the Harvard Library Alumni page.
- Special Borrowers (a designation used pre-2020) may renew books by using the Book Renewal Form.
- HGSE Alumni: Resources for Educators at Work offers additional tips on finding education statistics, funding sources, or experts.
Electronic Resources available through Public Libraries
- Many public libraries throughout the country provide access to electronic resources within their library and remotely. Contact your local public library for more information or check their website. Most Massachusetts residents can access online databases through Massachusetts Libraries, using the barcode on their public library card.
Questions and Research Appointments
Quick questions? Visit Gutman Library’s FAQs and Ask Us page.
Overwhelmed by choices? Need help researching a new subject area? Schedule a virtual appointment with Gutman Library’s Research Services librarians.