Menu Harvard Graduate School of Education
banner image

International Applicants Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for financial aid at HGSE?

The 2016-2017 HGSE Financial Aid Application will be available in January after the Admissions application deadline. The HGSE Financial Aid Office will contact you with information and instructions on how to submit your Financial Aid Application online, and the Financial Aid Application will be due by February 10, 2017.

May I apply for a tuition waiver?

Tuition waivers are not available at the Harvard Graduate School of Education.

What kind of financial aid is available for international students?

Grants & Scholarships

International students are eligible to be considered for both need-based and merit-based HGSE aid found on the Fellowships & Grants page.

All HGSE applicants and students may apply for any of the University-wide Restricted Scholarships for which they may be eligible. You can apply for these scholarships when you complete your HGSE Financial Aid Application.

International students may refer to our Fellowship Information for general information about possible external sources of support and may also want to refer to the list of Funding Sources for International Students available through this website. The Harvard Committee on General Scholarships also provides funding through various scholarships and fellowships.


International students are not eligible for U.S. Federal Student Loans. Many international students utilize loan programs in their home nations.  However, international students may borrow supplemental loans through some private lenders. International students will generally be required to have a credit worthy co-signer/co-borrower who is a U.S. citizen. Please refer to our loan page for further information about supplemental loan programs.


International students are generally restricted from working in this country, but may be able to work on the Harvard campus depending on visa status. Applicants should refer to the Harvard International Office for questions about work eligibility.

For information about on-campus job opportunities students should refer to the Student Employment Office. Please keep in mind that U.S. Federal Work-Study positions, which subsidize employer costs, are available only to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. It is often difficult for international students to find unsubsidized campus jobs.

HGSE also has Research Assistantships or Teaching Fellowships for which international Ed.D. students may be eligible to apply during the course of their program. For more information about these positions and their eligibility requirements you may contact the Academic Affairs Office at 617-495-3957.

Where can I get information about housing and other living expenses?

Upon admission to HGSE, students are mailed a packet which includes detailed information from the HGSE Financial Aid Office, Office of Student Affairs, and the Housing Office.

How can I calculate the funds I will need to obtain a student visa (for myself/for myself and family members)?

The following examples are estimates for full time students entering in the 2016-2017 academic year:

  • A single student must certify:

$71,703 for the standard cost of attendance for international students (including tuition, fees, living expenses and books) plus the cost of her/his return airfare in guaranteed, available funds (through a scholarship, personal funds in a U.S. bank, or agency sponsorship, or combination thereof).

  • A student with a spouse must certify:

$71,703 for self plus $16,048 for the cost of health fees and living expenses for their spouse, plus the cost of their return airfare for self and spouse in guaranteed, available funds (see above).

  • A student with a spouse and a child must certify:

$71,703 for self plus $27,350 for the cost of health fees and living expenses for their spouse and child, plus the cost of their return airfare for self and family in guaranteed, available funds (see above). A student with a spouse and more than one child must certify $1,574 in additional health insurance fees plus $9,180 for each additional child for living expenses, along with the cost of their return airfare for self and family in guaranteed, available funds (see above). Please note the above figures pertain to full-time Ed.M. students and first and second year Ed.D. students paying full tuition and fees. Budgets for Ed.D. students in their third year and beyond are adjusted according to the tuition level they are required to pay. HGSE students who are currently enrolled, or returning from a leave of absence, should contact the HGSE Financial Aid Office for instructions on certifying for an extension of their visa and related documents.

When do I receive information about applying for my student visa?

The HGSE Admissions Office mails information about visa requirements with the notice of admission.

Campaign Banner

Learn to Change the World

The Campaign for Harvard Graduate School of Education enables HGSE to fulfill its vision of changing the world through education by expanding opportunity and improving outcomes.

Learn More