Loan Exit Counseling is required of all borrowers of Federal Loans upon graduation or withdrawal from HGSE. This process will familiarize you with your rights and responsibilities after you leave school and begin repayment on your loans. It is an important part of being an educated and informed borrower.
If you borrowed a Federal Perkins, Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized, Direct Grad PLUS Loan, HUECU Loan, or HELP Loan while enrolled at HGSE you must complete this requirement. You will use your Harvard ID number to login and complete exit counseling for your Perkins Loan. You will use your Federal FSA ID to complete Direct Loan Exit Counseling and should have the names and addresses of two references to include on your exit materials.
Students must complete Loan Exit Counseling to receive their diploma and academic transcript.
Complete Your Loan Exit Counseling Requirements Online
Carefully read all instructions to ensure the successful completion of your exit counseling requirements. The HGSE Financial Aid Office will monitor for completed exit counseling; please contact our office if you have difficulty completing the requirements.
Borrowers will be contacted at their HGSE e-mail address with instructions for completing loan exit counseling.
NOTE: You must complete this process to receive your diploma and academic transcript.
Resources for Student Loan Borrowers
Listed below are links to important websites that you should review or bookmark for future reference. Should you have difficulty with these links please contact the Financial Aid Office.
Find information and online access to your loans through the following sites:
- Harvard Student Loan Office - contact for Federal Perkins Loan borrowers
- National Student Loan Data System - cumulative loan history of all your Federal loans- including contact information for your loan servicers, who bill you for your loan payments
- Interactive Budget and Loan Repayment Calculator - calculate your estimated loan payment(s) and learn about Direct Loan repayment plan options
- Federal Perkins Loan Cancelation for Teachers
- Federal Direct/Stafford Loan Cancelation for Teachers
- IBRinfo - a resource website for new Income Based Repayment and Public Service Loan Forgiveness programs.
- Federal Direct Loan Consolidation
- Federal Student Aid Ombudsman/Feedback System - a resource to assist in informally resolving disputes and problems with Federal loans.
- Student Loan Borrower Assistance - This is a comprehensive and useful website that covers the basics regarding past, present or future student loans of all varieties.
- Identity Theft Information - deter, detect, and defend against identity theft.
Money Management Tools
- MyMoney.Gov - a trusted source for financial information
- Annual Credit Report - receive your free annual credit report from the three major credit bureaus
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- IRS Tax Benefits for Education
Remember to contact all of your individual lenders to communicate address changes and to receive information on your outstanding loans.