HGSE’s Commitment to Health and Safety on Campus
As HGSE resumes more of its typical activities, traditions, and routines in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, we remain committed to the three priorities we embraced at the start of the crisis:
- The health and safety of community members, their families, and the public;
- Academic progress and success for our students; and
- Sustaining our community and relationships with one another.
As always, we will adjust our protocols and procedures in response to changing public health considerations, following the practices, policies, and guidance of Harvard University, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and federal agencies. HGSE also may decide to implement more restrictive policies than those issued by the government or the university, based on evaluations of our space and in consideration of the needs of our community. To learn about our current guidance and policies for accessing the HGSE campus, please visit HGSE’s coronavirus site.
Our Guiding Principles
- We share a responsibility to safeguard the health of our campus and community.
- We share a commitment to act prudently, safely, and in accordance with public health directives and with HGSE policies.
- Wear a face covering when required.
- Wash your hands often.
- Stay home if you’re sick.
- Consider the wellbeing and comfort levels of others, as well as your own.
- By recognizing our mutual responsibilities and connections, our community will thrive.
Our Campus Health Compact
Because COVID-19 infects individuals by spreading across and within close networks of people, we all share an obligation to safeguard the health of our community. We share a commitment to act prudently, safely, and in accordance with public health directives and with Harvard University and HGSE policies. This HGSE Campus Health Compact defines our shared responsibility and the expectations for anyone who is on our campus.
As an HGSE Community Member:
- I understand that Harvard and HGSE have adopted and may adopt additional requirements to promote the collective well-being of our community, and specifically the students, staff, faculty, and visitors to campus, and I agree to adhere to all such requirements.
- I will work to make sure I am informed of the most recent policies and guidance by consulting Harvard’s coronavirus site and HGSE's coronavirus site and reviewing HGSE community announcements, and I agree to comply with all such policies and guidance.
- I will comply with any and all instructions posted on campus signage setting forth Harvard’s expectations and policies.
- I will follow HGSE policies not just for my own health, but also to protect and safeguard the health of those around me. I also will strive to respect the personal space and preferences of others as they navigate face-to-face interaction in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- I acknowledge and accept that HGSE’s rules and guidelines may evolve as public health conditions change and as new research and guidance are developed. I accept that the activities allowed on campus may vary over time, and I will respect whatever current limitations or restrictions are in place.
- I agree that if I develop symptoms of COVID-19, contract the virus, or am in contact with someone who contracts the virus, I will comply with all applicable HGSE, university, federal, state, and local protocols.
- I will honor this compact when participating in projects and field work off-campus, out of respect for the other communities in which I engage.
- I understand that my ability to enter and remain upon the HGSE campus is conditioned on my adherence to Harvard’s policies, HGSE’s community standards, and all relevant public health requirements.
I acknowledge these shared commitments and responsibilities as someone who expects to participate in HGSE campus-based work or activities, and I commit to doing my part to ensure the wellness of this community.