Please note that the information below refers to the HGSE application for enrollment in the Ed.M. Program for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Statement of Purpose
Your statement should be your own original work and may not be written, in part or in whole, by a third party. It should be typed, double-spaced, and no more than 1,500 words. International applicants must write their statement in English; the use of translators is not permitted.
Please note that the admissions committee will carefully consider both the content and the writing in its assessment of your candidacy for graduate study at HGSE.
Program Specific Requirements
Master of Education (Ed.M.) applicants only
As a reminder, competitive candidates need not have prior direct experience in an education setting though should have a clear conception of why they’re pursuing a master’s degree in education. In addition, “education” and “education-related” are broadly defined at HGSE and encompass all fields, roles, and contexts covered by the Ed.M. Programs and Concentrations we offer.
- Your background: What key experiences have contributed to your commitment to work in the field of education or with education-related issues?
- Your objectives for graduate study: What are your academic and professional goals and what knowledge, skills, and tools are you hoping to develop through enrollment in a graduate program?
- Why HGSE, and why this specific Program (and Concentration, if relevant): why is enrollment at HGSE, and in this master’s Program and Concentration specifically, critical in helping you achieve your goals?
Certificate of Advanced Study (C.A.S.) in Counseling applicants only
In your statement, please address the following questions:
- How has your experience in the Prevention Science and Practice master's program motivated you or influenced you to pursue the C.A.S. year? What skills or knowledge do you hope to gain in this second year of graduate study?
- Given the importance of cultural humility in the field of counseling, please talk about where you are on your own journey in learning and incorporating this into your work. How have you grown in your personal awareness and/or understanding of cultural humility? Please share an example of a time when you exercised cultural humility this year; given us a sense of what happened, how you engaged, and what you learned.
Resume/ Curriculum Vitae
The length and format of your resume or C.V. is up to your discretion.