Please note that the information below refers to the HGSE application for enrollment for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Statement of Purpose
Your statement should be your own original work and may not be written, in part or in whole, by a third party. It should be typed, double-spaced, and no more than 1,500 words. International applicants must write their statement in English; the use of translators is not permitted.
Please note that the admissions committee will carefully consider both the content and the writing in its assessment of your candidacy for graduate study at HGSE.
Doctor of Education Leadership (Ed.L.D.) applicants only
To help us better understand your decision to become a system-level leader, please discuss the following:
- What key experiences have contributed to your commitment to education?
- What do you view as your most significant professional accomplishment(s) and your most significant professional failure(s) to date? How did they inform your development?
- What issues would you like to tackle in your career as a system-level leader in education?
- How do you envision yourself effecting significant change in the American preK-12 education sector?
Master of Education (Ed.M.) applicants only
As a reminder, competitive candidates need not have prior direct experience in an education setting though should have a clear conception of why they’re pursuing a master’s degree in education. In addition, “education” and “education-related” are broadly defined at HGSE and encompass all fields, roles, and contexts covered by the Ed.M. Programs and Concentrations we offer.
- Your background: What key experiences have contributed to your commitment to work in the field of education or with education-related issues?
- Your objectives for graduate study: What are your academic and professional goals and what knowledge, skills, and tools are you hoping to develop through enrollment in a graduate program?
- Why HGSE, and why this specific Program (and Concentration, if relevant): why is enrollment at HGSE, and in this master’s Program and Concentration specifically, critical in helping you achieve your goals?
Résumé/ Curriculum Vitae
The length and format of your résumé or C.V. is up to your discretion.