Information For:

Give back to HGSE and support the next generation of passionate educators and innovative leaders.



Please note that the information below refers to the HGSE application for enrollment in the Ed.L.D., Ed.M., and C.A.S. programs. Applications for the Ph.D. in Education must be submitted through the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. For information about the Ph.D. application, please visit the GSAS Application Instructions and Information, as well as the HGSE How to Apply and Ph.D. FAQ pages.

Does checking the Ed.M. referral box negatively affect my chances of being admitted to the doctoral program?

Not at all. Committees review all applications in light of the doctoral program and, after making decisions, revisit those not being admitted to see which are to be referred to an Ed.M. program. The two evaluation processes are completely separate.

Doctoral applicants who do indicate an interest in being considered for an Ed.M. program are strongly encouraged to apply for the Ed.M. merit fellowships (e.g., Urban Scholars and Leadership in Education) and financial aid to best position themselves for master’s study, should that be the option to which you’re admitted.

Can I request that my application be considered by more than one master’s program?

This is not possible. You must select and apply to only one master’s program. At the same time, admissions committees have the discretion to refer files in cases where they feel the applicant might be better suited in another Ed.M. program.