Click here for important information regarding HGSE's Response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Information For:

Give back to HGSE and support the next generation of passionate educators and innovative leaders.


Deferral and Program Change

Please note that the information below refers to the HGSE application for enrollment in the Ed.L.D., Ed.M., and C.A.S. programs.

Applications for the Ph.D. in Education must be submitted through the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. For information about the Ph.D. application, please visit the GSAS Application Instructions and Information, as well as the HGSE How to Apply and Ph.D. FAQ pages.

May I defer admission to the Harvard Graduate School of Education?
Master's programs: If your circumstances change, you may petition the Admissions Committee in writing for a one-year deferment. Please note that deferments are rarely granted and are subject to the Admission Committee's approval.

Doctor of Education Leadership: Because of the intentional design of the small cohort, deferrals are not granted for the Ed.L.D. program. If you are unable to join the program in the year of your admission, we encourage you to reapply in a following year that better suits you.

Admitted applicants who accept an offer of admission are expected to enroll in the term for which they applied and were admitted.

May I change Ed.M. programs after I've been admitted?
Transfer from one Ed.M. program to another is rarely permitted. Students are expected to enroll in the program to which they were admitted. We encourage students who wish to transfer to another program to seek the advice of the Ed.M. program administrator of the program to which they were initially admitted before submitting a request to transfer to the Admissions Office.