Click here for important information regarding HGSE's Response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Information For:

Give back to HGSE and support the next generation of passionate educators and innovative leaders.


Non-Degree Study

Special Students in Education (SSE)

A select number of applicants for non-degree study may be admitted to take up to two courses during the academic year. This option is only available for professional educators seeking to enhance their current work, college or university faculty from institutions other than Harvard, and advanced doctoral students for whom the courses will contribute to their research. Admission to take courses as a non-degree student is competitive; course enrollment is on a space-available basis and is limited to HGSE courses only. Once admitted, a student's official enrollment in a course is subject to the approval of the instructor. Please note that Special Students are not eligible for HGSE funding, housing, or office space. 

The application for non-degree study for the 2019-2020 academic year is now closed. The application for non-degree study in 2020-2021 will be available in late summer 2020.

A complete application for non-degree study at HGSE consists of the following items:

  • Online Application Form
  • $85 non-refundable application fee (paid via credit card with the online application)
  • Official and unopened transcript(s) from each postsecondary institution attended (including institutions from which course credits transferred) showing all courses and grades. These must be sent directly to the HGSE Admissions Office and received by the application deadline.
  • Statement of Purpose: one page detailing how the course(s) you wish to take specifically relates to your current professional responsibilities or academic work
  • Resume or curriculum vitae
  • One letter of recommendation (submitted through the online application system)
    • Professional educators: This letter should be from a supervisor familiar with your work.
    • College or university faculty: You do not need to submit a recommendation.
    • Doctoral students: This letter should be from an academic adviser familiar with your plan of study and research interests.
  • TOEFL scores (if applicable)*

*Applicants whose native language is not English and whose baccalaureate is not from a college or university where English is the sole language of instruction are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Scores must be from a test administered no earlier than February 1, 2017 for 2019-2020 enrollment. In addition, Harvard University does not provide student visas to Special Students.

If you are a HGSE degree holder, a Certificate of Advanced Study recipient, a voucher holder, or a Harvard employee eligible to take a course through the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), you do not need to fill out this application. You should contact the HGSE Office of the Registrar to arrange to take a course as a non-degree student.