All HGSE activities are remote through January 23, 2022. Learn how we will safely open campus, including testing and other protocols.

Information For:

Give back to HGSE and support the next generation of passionate educators and innovative leaders.

International Applicants

The Harvard International Office and the HGSE Office of Student Affairs provide extensive support for international students before they depart and once they arrive in Cambridge.

How to Apply

International applicants must submit all standard application materials outlined in the How to Apply section. Please see below for additional information regarding transcripts and standardized tests for Ed.L.D. and Ed.M. applicants.

Note: applications for the Ph.D. in Education must be submitted through the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS). If you are applying for the Ph.D. in Education, please review the GSAS Application Information and Instructions for information about the Ph.D. application process.


Ed.L.D. and Ed.M. applicants are required to upload transcripts from each postsecondary institution attended in the Academics section of the application. If the institutions you attended do not provide official transcripts in English, you will need to obtain a certified English translation.

All translations must be literal (i.e., word for word) and complete versions of the original records. Upload your transcripts with their accompanying translation as part of your application. All transcripts should show courses completed, grades received, duration of study, and degree or diploma received, if applicable.

Should you be offered admission to the Ed.L.D. or Ed.M. program, you will need to provide official transcripts and supporting documents for verification through World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) , as well as certified translations, if applicable. Separately, you will need to upload an updated certified translation to account for any additional courses you have taken or degrees earned since the time you submitted your application. HGSE reserves the right to withdraw an admissions offer if there is a discrepancy between the uploaded version and the official original transcript and/or the official translation.

For more information about transcript submission for Ed.L.D. and Ed.M. applicants, please visit our Resume and Transcripts page.

Standardized Tests

In addition to scores from the GRE General Test (or GMAT, if applicable), Ed.L.D. and Ed.M. applicants must submit current TOEFL or IELTS scores if their native language is not English and they do not have a bachelor's degree from an institution where English was the sole language of instruction.

Please note: a major or concentration in English is not sufficient to waive the TOEFL/IELTS requirement. Additionally, completion of graduate-level degrees at an institution where the instruction is conducted in English does not exempt an applicant from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement.

For more information about standardized testing requirements for Ed.L.D. and Ed.M. applicants, please visit our Standardized Tests page.


Once students have been admitted as degree candidates, Harvard University requires international students who need a Harvard-sponsored student visa to submit financial certification that demonstrates adequate funding for one year of study. Detailed instructions regarding this process will be available upon admission to HGSE. Please note that admitted international students requesting J-1 or F-1 visas are required to enroll full-time.