The C.A.S. in Counseling program is not accepting applications for the 2022-2023 academic year.
The C.A.S. in Counseling is designed for Prevention Science and Practice (and Risk & Prevention) or Human Development and Education (School Counseling strand) alumni who wish to continue their graduate studies beyond the master's degree and pursue Massachusetts initial licensure as a school counselor.
Prevention Science and Practice and R&P alumni who are interested in returning to HGSE to complete the C.A.S. should contact Mandy Farhoodi-Moberger at the Human Development and Education office to determine your eligibility to apply, which is based in part on your previous coursework and practicum experience.
Only individuals who have graduated from the PSP or R&P master's programs or are currently enrolled in the HDE (School Counseling strand) master's program will be eligible to apply for the C.A.S. in Counseling once we resume accepting applications.
A complete application to the Certificate of Advanced Study (C.A.S.) in Counseling consists of the following:
- Online application form
- Statement of Purpose and Resume
- Letter(s) of recommendation (submitted through the online application system):
- PSP/R&P alumni applicants only: Two letters of recommendation. One must be from the supervisor of your practicum placement during your time as a R&P/PSP student. The other should be written by an individual who has supervised you in a professional capacity since graduation from HGSE. Please see additional information and instructions below.
- Transcript(s) from each postsecondary institution attended (uploaded with the online application)
- GRE scores are optional
- Application fee is waived
Alumni are asked to authorize the Admissions Office access to their HGSE transcript on the application form. Additionally, alumni who graduated after the class of 2013 do not need to resubmit non-HGSE transcripts unless new courses were taken or a new degree program was completed. However, alumni who graduated before 2013 must resubmit transcript(s) from each non-HGSE postsecondary institution attended; they should be uploaded in the Academics section of the application. (More information about submission of transcripts is available in the College and University Transcripts section of the application instructions.)
PSP/R&P alumni applicants must submit two letters of recommendation. One must be a supervisor from their practicum placement location while they were a PSP or R&P student. The other letter should be written by an individual who has supervised you in a professional capacity since graduation from HGSE.
Please note that the admissions committee may reference applicant's PSP Ed.M. practicum evaluations and site supervisor feedback during the review process. The committee also reserves the right to review the student's original application to the PSP/R&P program.