Information For:

Give back to HGSE and support the next generation of passionate educators and innovative leaders.


Applying to C.A.S.

The application for enrollment in the 2023-2024 academic year is now open. The application deadline, including receipt of all materials, is January 5, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Decisions will be made available online in late February 2023.

The C.A.S. in Counseling is designed for Human Development and Education (HDE) School Counseling strand, Prevention Science and Practice (PSP), or Risk & Prevention (R&P) alumni who wish to continue their graduate studies beyond the master's degree and pursue Massachusetts initial licensure as a School Counselor or School Adjustment Counselor.

HDE master's students who have met the course requirements for the School Counseling concentration are eligible to apply for the C.A.S. program. HDE, PSP, and R & P alumni who are interested in returning to HGSE to complete the C.A.S. should contact Mandy Farhoodi-Moberger in the Human Development and Education office to determine their eligibility to apply, which is based in part on their previous coursework and practicum experience.

Only individuals who have graduated from the HDE (School Counseling strand), PSP, or R&P master's programs or are currently enrolled in the HDE (School Counseling strand) master's program will be eligible to apply for the C.A.S. in Counseling once we resume accepting applications.

A complete application to the Certificate of Advanced Study (C.A.S.) in Counseling consists of the following:

  • Online application form
  • Statement of Purpose and Resume
  • Letter(s) of recommendation (submitted through the online application system):
    • Current HDE applicants: One recommendation from a supervisor from an HDE practicum placement. (In the recommendation section, be sure to indicate the "Type" as "Recommendation for CAS application.")
    • HDE/PSP/R&P alumni applicants: Two letters of recommendation. One must be from the supervisor of your practicum placement during your time as a HDE/PSP/R&P student. The other should be written by an individual who has supervised you in a professional capacity since graduation from HGSE. Please see additional information and instructions below.
  • Alumni only: Transcript(s) from each postsecondary institution attended (uploaded with the online application)
  • GRE scores are optional
  • Application fee is waived

HDE Current Students

Current students will be able to use the transcripts and (and GRE test scores, if desired), they submitted in conjunction with their Ed.M. application; they will be asked to authorize the Admissions Office access to these records on the application form. Please note: the admissions committee may also reference applicants' fall semester practicum evaluations during the review process.

All offers of admissions to the C.A.S. are conditional and contingent upon a second admissions review held in April of the year of acceptance. As the C.A.S. successful completion of their Ed.M. degree and fieldwork in year one of the program. 

HDE/PSP/R&P Alumni

Alumni are asked to authorize the Admissions Office access to their HGSE transcript on the application form. Additionally, alumni who graduated after the class of 2013 do not need to resubmit non-HGSE transcripts unless new courses were taken or a new degree program was completed. However, alumni who graduated before 2013 must resubmit transcript(s) from each non-HGSE postsecondary institution attended; they should be uploaded in the Academics section of the application. (More information about submission of transcripts is available in the College and University Transcripts section of the application instructions.)

HDE/PSP/R&P alumni applicants must submit two letters of recommendation. One must be a supervisor from their practicum placement location while they were a HDE, PSP, or R&P student. The other letter should be written by an individual who has supervised you in a professional capacity since graduation from HGSE.

Please note that the admissions committee may reference applicant's PSP Ed.M. practicum evaluations and site supervisor feedback during the review process. The committee also reserves the right to review the student's original application to the HDE/PSP/R&P program.