Click here for important information regarding HGSE's Response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Information For:

Give back to HGSE and support the next generation of passionate educators and innovative leaders.


Degree, Program, and Course Information

Does HGSE offer evening courses?

The majority of the courses at HGSE are offered during the day. Degrees cannot be completed by taking evening coursework. Please consult the online Course Catalogue for detailed course offerings and information.

Does HGSE offer distance or online learning?

All degree programs at HGSE require the coursework to be completed on campus.

Does HGSE offer summer courses?

All courses offered for the HGSE degree programs are offered during the academic year.

Some professional development classes and institutes are offered during the summer months. Please visit our Professional Education page for more information.

What degrees are offered at HGSE?

We offer a Master of Education (Ed.M), a Doctor of Education Leadership (Ed.L.D.), as well as a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Education with the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences beginning in fall 2014. (The Ed.D. program enrolled its final cohort in fall 2013.)

Is a bachelor's degree required for admission to a degree program at HGSE?

Applicants to the Ph.D. in Education must have a B.A., B.S. or equivalent degree (for prospective international students, a three- or four-year undergraduate degree from an institution of recognized standing) by the time of their matriculation.

For applicants to the Ed.L.D. or Ed.M. degree, while a bachelor's degree is not required, those who hold a B.A., B.S., or equivalent degree are the most  competitive for admission. Only in rare and select cases will the school consider exceptional and extensive professional achievements, along with demonstrated non-degree academic success, in lieu of a degree.

May I apply as a part-time student to HGSE?

A limited number of master's students are admitted to HGSE on a part-time basis. Applicants must include a brief statement in the Program Information section of the online application, indicating why they are requesting part-time study.

Full-time enrollment is required for the following:

  • Doctor of Philosophy in Education
  • Doctor of Education Leadership
  • Language and Literacy: Reading Specialist strand
  • School Leadership Program
  • Teacher Education Program
  • Certificate of Advanced Study in Counseling

If I matriculate at HGSE, can I cross-register at other Harvard schools?

Many HGSE students choose to take courses at other Harvard graduate schools, including the Harvard Business School (HBS) and the Harvard Kennedy School (HKS). Harvard University's academic calendar is now standardized, allowing for seamless cross-registration between schools.

Cross-registration at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is also available for all HGSE Students.

Is it possible to take courses without applying or enrolling in a degree program?

Professional educators, advanced doctoral students who are conducting relevant research, and faculty from other institutions may take courses at HGSE by applying to the Special Students program. Applicants for non-degree study may be admitted to take up to two courses during a single academic year.

Which programs at HGSE offer licensure?

  • The Teacher Education program offers middle-school and high-school level licensure. Specifically, it prepares candidates to teach in grades 5-8 in biology, English, general science, history, and mathematics. TEP also prepares candidates to teach at the 8-12 level in biology, chemistry, English, history, mathematics, and physics.
  • The Reading Specialist strand of the Language and Literacy program prepares candidates for reading licensure.
  • The Principal Licensure strand of the School Leadership program prepares candidates for principal licensure.
  • The Prevention Science and Practice program prepares candidates for licensure as School Guidance Counselors (PreK-8, 5-12) or School Adjustment Counselors (all levels) through its new two-year counseling tracks.