Leadership: An Evolving Vision
July 6-12, 2014
3+ Years of Leadership Experience
What You Will Learn
Strengthen your leadership and management skills and revitalize your personal vision of leadership. Learn new methods for improving individual, group and organizational performance.
Leadership: An Evolving Vision provides experienced school leaders with an opportunity to reflect, learn and stretch—and so to strengthen—the leadership skills needed to address key challenges and raise student achievement. Participants work with Harvard faculty and experts on school leadership and education reform to examine effective strategies for building successful schools. You will return to your school revitalized and prepared to tackle your leadership challenges.
The program includes a unique opportunity to interact with and learn from colleagues from across the United States and around the world. Through plenary sessions, expertly facilitated group discussions and personal reflection, you will connect theory to practice—and develop a customized improvement agenda for yourself and your organization.
- Examine leadership styles and practices that enhance organizational performance and enable sustainable change
- Develop skills to manage schools and districts entrepreneurially
- Implement specific strategies for leading instruction, valuing diversity, fostering a positive school culture, and communicating effectively with a variety of constituencies
- Respond to the expectations of a wide variety of stakeholders
- Learn proven techniques for enabling personal growth and for improving relationships with colleagues and staff members
- Lead a systematic process of improving the learning, happiness, and life chances of children and young people
Who Should Attend
- Experienced school leaders responsible for thinking strategically about their schools and districts
- Experienced principals, heads of school, assistant principals, assistant heads of school and department heads
Testimonials: What People Are Saying
“I can't tell you how much this invigorated my love of education and the future of the children in my S.D.” —2013 participant
“Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!” —2013 participant
“It has strengthened my leadership skills and has enhanced my content knowledge. I will definitely share what I have learned with my faculty and colleagues.” —2013 participant
Read more testimonials here.
Joseph Blatt is Senior Lecturer on Education and the Director of the Technology, Innovation and Education Program at HGSE. Blatt’s work focuses on the effects of media content and technology on development, learning and civic behavior. He has created television series and websites for many types of learning environments, and he is now helping to renew the historic relationship between HGSE and Sesame Workshop. Blatt is also project co-director of the Usable Knowledge website, which makes HGSE faculty research available and accessible to practitioners.
Admission to Leadership: An Evolving Vision is competitive; we regret that we are unable to accommodate all applicants. To maximize the learning experience, the program aims to bring together as diverse a group as possible. As the program fills quickly, early application is encouraged.
You will be asked to provide your personal profile and institutional information to complete the application process.
Upload your CV/resume as a single MS Word or PDF document. Generally your CV/resume should include your current job title, professional experience and your education.
Upload a single MS Word or PDF document that includes the following:
- School Description: Please describe your school, programs, and educational values, and provide a brief description of your school's student body and faculty; include anything unique or special about your school. (1 page)
- Professional Challenge: What is your most significant accountability challenge and its impact on your role as a school leader? (1/2 page) The entire document should be no more than two pages in length. Applicants from the same school or district are expected to each write and submit their own individual document.
The comprehensive tuition includes all instructional materials and refreshments. Participants receive a certificate of participation and a letter confirming clock hours of instruction.
Payment or a purchase order is due 30 days after registration. If acceptance into the program falls less than 30 days prior to program start date, payment is due upon acceptance. Participants are responsible for their own travel expenses.
Hotel accommodations are made available to participants at a reduced rate. Detailed program information and accommodation options will be provided to all admitted participants. The Harvard Graduate School of Education is not responsible for non-refundable travel arrangements or other planning expenses incurred. We recommend that you not make lodging and travel arrangements until you are admitted to the program.
Cancellations must be submitted via fax or email. Full refunds will be given up to 30 days prior to the start of the program. Due to program demand and pre-program preparations, cancellations received 29–14 days prior to the start of the program are subject to a fee of 10% of the program tuition. Cancellations received within 13 days prior to the start of the program and no-shows are subject to the full program tuition. Please note: cancellation fees are based upon the date the written request is received.
The Harvard Graduate School of Education reserves the right to change faculty or cancel programs at its discretion. In the unlikely event of program changes, the school is not responsible for non-refundable travel arrangements or other planning expenses incurred.
The Harvard Graduate School of Education affirms the right of all individuals to equal treatment in education without regard to age, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, handicap, national origin, or any other factors that are extraneous to effective performance. The Harvard Graduate School of Education will accommodate anyone with disabilities.