ED. Magazine

What’s the Big Idea?

By Ed. Magazine

When it comes to “improving” schools, students, and teachers, there’s no shortage of opinions out there on what won’t work. We wanted to know, what could work? For several months, we asked people to tell us one tangible education idea they had that was worth spreading. Some writers are connected to the Ed School, others aren’t. Yes, there’s even an idea from a Muppet. As you’ll see, a few ideas are slight twists on thoughts we’ve heard before; others are quirky and curious. All, we hope, will get you thinking.

IllustrationEmbrace Failure
“Fail early, fail often” is a mantra of many software engineers. This phrase makes explicit the necessity of being iterative and incremental in design work. It is a view of creativity that acknowledges its messiness, complexity, and process-orientation. And although learning, like software design, is messy, complex, and process-oriented, most formal educational experiences do not encourage being iterative and incremental. Failure is often a dirty word in schools when it should be something we embrace, something we aspire to — an essential part of every learning experience. Let’s create a culture of learning in which we trust students to explore wildly ambitious ideas and activities, and support them to confront and analyze their failures when the need to refine and repeat does (and should) happen. As Samuel Beckett wrote, “Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.”

is an assistant professor at the Ed School who received her doctorate from the MIT Media Lab.

Abandon the Clock
The current system of education is time-based. Students attend 12 grades of school for 180 days a year, taking classes for lengths of time established by the Carnegie Foundation in 1906. College is comparable. The focus is on how long students are exposed to teaching, and it assumes all students can learn the same amount in the same period of time. So let’s abandon the clock and switch the focus from teaching to learning. This would be a time-variable system of education rooted in the outcomes or competencies students are expected to achieve. Students would advance according to mastery and the curriculum would be individualized to meet the learning needs of each student. High-stakes testing would give way to just-in-time assessments built into each instructional unit much like a GPS. The teacher would have four roles: diagnostician of student learning needs, prescriptor of the best instructional approaches for each student to meet those needs, instructor, and assessor of student progress. The principal beneficiaries of the change will be our children.

is president of the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship foundation and president emeritus of Teachers College at Columbia University.

IllustrationBye Bye Homework
I think we shouldn’t have homework. I think that we shouldn’t have homework because it wastes our free time. My mom thinks we should not have homework, too, because she doesn’t believe in it, and she says that because she thinks it wastes our time, too. Besides, kids want free time to watch television and play games like soccer and Chutes and Ladders ’cause that’s fun, unlike homework. We also work hard at school all day. If I could change one thing, I would definitely stop homework.

is a second-grader in northern Virginia and granddaughter of Paula Evans, M.A.T.’67.

Make Teachers Pass a Board Exam
Lawyers have the bar, doctors have boards, and teachers have … Praxis exams? As we move into an era in which we are aiming for all students to leave school “college and career ready,” we need to similarly upgrade the expectations for entering teachers. Teachers need their own version of boards — a rigorous set of requirements that would include exams of content and pedagogical knowledge, observations of teaching, and examinations of students’ work — which would certify teachers as having successfully completed their training and earned their membership into a demanding and highly skilled profession.

This is not a new idea, but it is one whose time has come. In the past year, both major teachers’ unions as well as the organization that represents state educational leaders have championed it. If such an exam were sufficiently rigorous, it could be a game-changer. Demanding new requirements could shape who is drawn to teaching, guide the work of teacher preparation institutions, develop more consistent skill across the teaching force, improve student outcomes, and greatly increase public regard for teachers and teaching.

is an associate professor at the Ed School, coauthor of The Futures of School Reform, and author of The Allure of Order.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• Bonita Hunter

Very interesting set of ideas that are creative as well as imaginative. Great collection

• alfred devaprasad

Good collection of ideas. Will inspire many to pick up and implement. A brilliant idea in action, I recently observed,was a ‘ school on wheels’- a mobile classroom for children of migrant laborers in India

• Joshua Jenkins

Really enjoy the section about teacher talk reducing stress: so true! The Responsive Classroom model has lots to say about the power of teacher language.

• Matt Renwick

Great ideas – enjoyed reading all of them. I will humbly add one more suggestion: Teach handwriting. If not for penmanship, then for the meditative quality of this practice. Giving kids time to create words and sentences through pencil and paper can help them disconnect from our increasingly connected world. When I walk into my classrooms while kids are practicing this “ancient art”, you can hear a pin drop. I think they appreciate this time to clear their heads and focus on this present-evoking practice.

• Lory Hough

Matt, such a great idea! I’m happy to say that my son’s third grade class is learning handwriting and the kids think it’s fun. It’s too bad, though, that not all schools/districts include this in elementary school!

• Lory Hough

• Anonymous

That is really true and useful as it was. There are many people who really need to apply those things in order for them to have a successful output which kids will surely use for their future someday.

• Travis Cram

Wow they dont include handwriting in some schools! Thats mind blowing I am 29 have a boy in first and 3 grade but we are in argentina so I guess Ive been out of the loop caint believe it I didnt even use a computer untill I was Probably 12 or 13 like a time warp feeling. Pretty cool and scary.

• Travis Cram

Alot of amazing stuff, I love this! Not sure why I get so excited, Probably because its something that´s so vital to what makes the world go round. Great place for getting ideas out there for sure kinda goes along with the one about “Dont let the boss do all the thinking” when it says “Educational leaders must draw on the intelligence of everyone on their staff and student body, effectively doubling their brain force for free” Getting the public involved with world issues that interest them is a great way to set progress for a better future. I feel that the objective of life (for me at least) is to create a stable, fun life. Obviously the stable part can get pretty complex but thats why its important to work together and I agree calling upon the public is a great way to not couble but to imensly maginify our capacity for progress towards a more stable and fun future to come. So I was thinking why dont they make it more easy for the public to share there ideas in an organized official way Instead of having to pay for a patend on an idea why not create a government website or sponsored website where investors and entities of all types could turn to for access to creative and innovative ideas It would be like public records freely accesible to and by the public but as an incentive to the owner of the idea If they are the “original” owner of the idea and there post on this website is the first official documentation of the idea they would be legally entitled to a Royal of any profits gained by that idea Globally?Creativity would be important in making the right system to encourage public participation. I actually have alot of ideas Which the creativity reminds me of another I feel that the basics are overlooked in a world so complex and confusing its important to have a clear grounded mind in order to reach full capacity. They say our subconscious mind is capable of processing an enormous amount of data compared to our conscious mind and in order for our subconscious mind to work and participate we need to have a clear focused conscious that can direct our subconscious acordingly I think its the basics that we should focus on putting into our conscious mind such as creativity , patience , persistence. We live in such a fast pace society that we do not take the time to look at the basics becasue we are so overwelmed with the details so we lose consciousness of the principals. We learn details of chapter 3 , but we forget what the title of the book is or how to use the contents page or the glossary. Give a man a fish he eats for a day, Teach him to fish he eats for a life time, Teach him to learn he will Live eternally. So I say a solution to increasing the basic fundaments and principles of life is to come to a consensus of that the most important principles are and teaching them through “preschool at home learning” Children learn best early on why wait till they are 5 ? They should learn at home! A program that would Incentivate famillies around the world with children or planning to have children to log into live broadcastings from top performing teachers. For example Instead of paying for schools and teachers transportation food etc for teaching young children offer free laptop to those families and you would basically have a medium for providing direct acces to that child for @ 2 years before repair or replacement would be iminent. $300 dollars for two years is a pretty low cost investment for education obviously the teacher and the coursework as well but that would be minimal considering the amount of students millions that one teacher would be accessing. This could also be an oportunity to join efforts with non profit organizations against domestic abuse or child abuse or depression , suicide etc allowing for a direct comunication with families around the world allowing them to reach out for help with any concerns or comments they have. a coordinator could be assigned to a determined number of families responsible for any comments questions or concerns… I have other ideas But I think I will wait for the public patent page to open up lol. Hope its not a bore I like this stuff and would love to do investigative research and help out with ideas if anyone has any sugestions I am always open Travisleecram@gmail.com

Past Issues

Latest Activity