Learning and Teaching
Learning and Teaching
Welcome L&T Class of 2011!
Life at Harvard
In addition to the formal curriculum, students at HGSE have a rich panoply of extracurricular opportunities for academic and professional development, social life, and community service. Students regularly have individual and small group conversations with national leaders in education who come to Harvard to speak in classes, to attend Harvard's executive education programs, or to consult with Harvard faculty. Informal career exploration conversations with senior administrators are scheduled throughout the year.
HGSE students can also take advantage of the extraordinarily rich offerings found throughout the Harvard University campus and the greater Boston area. For a sample of Harvard programs, see:
- the Harvard University Events Calendar
- the Harvard College Events Calendar
- KSG Today
- the Askwith Forum
Links to Harvard Square and Cambridge:
- Boston Public Schools: Provides general information about BPS and contact information for schools and administrative departments.
- Cambridge Public Schools: Provides general information about Cambridge Public Schools and contact information for schools and administrative departments.
- Eduventures: A digital marketplace for news, research, and professional services related to the education industry. Their website is being built to provide users with a closed-loop solution that meets all the needs of growing education ventures.
- MapQuest: An invaluable resource for finding your way around the Cambridge/Boston area. Relevant maps and driving directions can be downloaded from this site.
- Massachusetts Department of Education: A comprehensive resource that offers information in categories such as News, Resources & Information, Education Reform, and Educational Technology.
- National Council of Teachers of English: A national organization that meets annually. It also offers several interesting online resources both for students and for teachers' professional development (see "Teach 2000," which offers online mentorship for new teachers).
- Newton Public Schools: Provides information about Newton Public Schools and administrative departments.
- The Paraclete Center: Located in South Boston, the Paraclete Center is a family and neighborhood based educational enhancement program for middle-school aged youth and parents of young children.
Small group informational meetings are offered throughout the summer and fall months at 9:15 a.m. in the Admissions Office. Please RSVP for a session. The Admissions Office may also be able to assist you in setting up a visit to a HGSE class during the academic year, September- May.
While visitng campus, you may also want to make an appointment to meet with the program coordinator for the program. View contact information.
HGSE's campus is small, so no regular formal tour is offered. However, if you are interested in taking a Harvard University tour, any visitor is welcome to join one of the free campus tours offered daily by the Harvard News Office. The tours leave the Harvard Information Center in Holyoke Center, 1350 Massachusetts Ave, at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
HGSE does not provide housing to visiting prospective students. However, information about local, off-campus accommodations is available.
Useful Acronyms and Nicknames
The B School: the Business School
The Div School: the Divinity School
KSG: the Kennedy School of Government, a.k.a. the Kennedy School
FAS: the Faculty of Arts and Sciences
OSA: Office of Student Affairs
CSO: Career Services Office
HGSE: the Harvard Graduate School of Education, a.k.a. the Ed School
Additionally, many of the academic programs at the School are known by their acronyms:
* AIE: Arts in Education
* EPM: Education Policy and Management
* HDP: Human Development and Psychology
* IEP: International Education Policy
* L&L: Language and Literacy
* L&T: Learning and Teaching
* MBE: Mind, Brain, and Education
* PSP: Prevention Science and Practice
* SLP: School Leadership
* TEP: Teacher Education Program
* TIE: Technology in Education
For Current Students
- Academic Calendar
- Course Catalogue
- Faculty and Staff Directory
- Financial Aid Office
- Office of Student Affairs
- Office of the Registrar
- Student Handbook