Arts in Education

Arts in Education

Frequently Asked Questions

Please note: Questions or requests for clarification of any rules and regulations should be directed to the following Harvard Graduate School of Education offices:

  • Admissions - questions about application procedures, requirements, and deadlines
  • Committee on Degrees - questions about academic policies
  • Financial Aid - questions about financial aid
  • Registration - questions about tuition, registration, grades, transcripts, and deadline information
  1. How do I apply to the Arts in Education Program?

    The Harvard Graduate School of Education Admissions Office website includes detailed information on application procedures, requirements, and deadlines (applications due in early January for study beginning the following September). Application materials can also be requested from the Admissions Office by phone at (617)495-3414 or by e-mailing

  2. What can I expect from a campus visit?
    • Informational meetings
      Small group informational meetings are offered throughout the summer and fall months at 9:15 am in the Admissions Office. Please RSVP for a session by contacting theh Admissions Office. The Admissions Office may also be able to assist you in setting up a visit to a HGSE class during the academic year, September-May.While visiting campus, you may also want to make an appointment to meet with the program coordinator for this program. Please view contact information for the program coordinator under the "Contact Us" page on the site.
    • Tours
      HGSE's campus is small, so no regular formal tour is offered. However, if you are interested in taking a Harvard University tour, any visitor is welcome to join one of the free campus tours offered daily by the Harvard News Office. The tours leave the Harvard Information Center in Holyoke Center, 1350 Massachusetts Ave, at 10am and 2pm.
    • Accommodations
      HGSE does not provide housing to visiting prospective students. However, information about local, off-campus accommodations is available.
  3. Is there a Doctoral program in Arts in Education?

    The AIE program is designed for Master's students. Incoming doctoral students may choose to fulfill the AIE program's requirements and receive a Master's in passing degree in Arts in Education.

  4. Will this program certify me as an art teacher?

    AIE is neither geared towards the specific training of art teachers nor a teacher certification program.

  5. How long does it take to complete the AIE Program?

    Arts in Education students must complete the equivalent of at least eight half-courses (a half-course at Harvard is a half-year, or full-semester course.) See the detailed description of requirements for an Ed.M. in Arts in Education in the "Requirements" section of this website. Most students satisfy these requirements within one academic year (two semesters) of full-time study.

  6. Can I earn course credit toward an HGSE Arts in Education degree through cross-registration at other Harvard faculties?

    Yes. AIE students are encouraged to explore relevant courses throughout the university.

  7. Can I apply transfer credits from other institutions toward an HGSE Arts in Education degree?

    According to HGSE policy, credits from other institutions are not accepted toward HGSE degree requirements.

  8. Can I take courses toward an AIE degree before being admitted to the program?

    There are opportunities for a nondegree students to earn course credit. At the discretion of the director, up to two half-courses completed before enrolling at HGSE as a degree candidate may be applied toward AIE degree requirements.

  9. Can I pursue an HGSE Arts in Education degree through correspondence or online distance learning?

    At this time, it is not possible to complete the requirements for the AIE degree without taking courses on campus in Cambridge.

  10. What do graduates of the Arts in Education Program do?

    Representative graduates from our program are:

    • teaching in schools in arts and non-arts classrooms,
    • leading university research initiatives into quality in arts education,
    • working in art museums as curators of education and community outreach directors,
    • contributing to statewide reform initiatives in the arts in education,
    • pursuing doctoral studies in the arts and education,
    • working for foundations that support the arts in education,
    • helping to adapt national standards for arts in education,
    • directing/teaching in urban community and after-school arts programs,
    • and working as visiting artists in classrooms and museums.
  11. Is the John Landrum Bryant Lecture/Performance Series open to the public?

    Yes. Please join us for any or all of the lecture/performances. There is no fee and no need to register. If you would like to be placed on our mailing list and receive a printed schedule of this year's speakers, contact the Arts in Education Office.

  12. What other Ed.M. Programs are offered at HGSE?

    The following master's programs are available at the Harvard Graduate School of Education:

    In addition, information on the doctoral program at HGSE is available
  13. How can I receive more information about the program?

    If you have specific questions that are not addressed on this website, please feel free to contact us by e-mail at, by phone (617)495-9068, or in writing to the attention of the Arts in Education Program Assistant, Arts in Education Program, Harvard Graduate School of Education, Longfellow 309, 13 Appian Way, Cambridge, MA 02138.

If you have questions about...

Career Opportunities

For more information please visit HGSE's Career Services Office.

Cross Registration

Many HGSE students choose to take courses at other Harvard graduate schools (aka, cross registering), including the Harvard Business School (HBS) and the Harvard Kennedy School (HKS). For more information about cross registering at other Harvard schools, please visit the Cross Registration website.

HGSE Course Catalog

For more information about HGSE course offerings, view the entire HGSE course catalogue