Information Technology at HGSE provides comprehensive Information Technology services to the HGSE community by offering in-house expertise as well as leveraging shared central services through HUIT. You can contact us through our IT Service Center that provides a one-stop service for all your technology needs in the areas of research, teaching and learning, desktop and Media Services and business applications.
Our offerings include:
Thoughtfully applied, technology can greatly enhance the teaching and learning experience. At HGSE, technology is used in course instruction in a number of ways, such as:
- the rich use of course websites to post course content, collaborate online, and communicate with individuals, groups, and the whole class between face-to-face class sessions
- the assignment of digital assets such as "video chapters" to prepare for class
- class sessions held in technologically-enhanced classrooms
- the use of web conferencing technology for “virtual” guest speakers, virtual office hours, online review sessions, and web-based student project collaboration
- the ability for students to review video and/or audio of a class session after class
- facilities for students and faculty to work on multimedia projects
Twelve of our classrooms are fully equipped to provide the faculty with most of their presentation requirements, from audio and video projection to audio and video capture. Media technology is also delivered to classrooms. Information Technology (IT) also supports special events and speakers associated with HGSE.
Information Technology provides and supports over 100 computers in Gutman Library and in the General Computing Area (located in the Gutman Library). These computers are loaded with all applications a student will need to work on course assignments. Printing through the student P-Counter systems is also provided.
Multimedia Development Lab
The multimedia development lab provides students and faculty with computers set up for a wide variety of media production, including audio and video editing, CD and DVD production, web development, and other applications that might be needed for media-enhanced projects.
Video Recording, Editing, and Streaming
IT provides classroom and special event videography within the parameters of its resources. It also provides video editing and a video streaming server for use in instructional technology.
Working closely with GSE administrative staff, the application development team works to create and enhance applications that improve the day-to-day functioning of HGSE.
Network and Services
The IT provides network access to faculty, students, and staff. Wireless is available in many areas around campus. Server space is available to faculty, students, and staff. The IT provides email accounts to all community members and maintains a help desk for the entire community.