Learning Technologies Center
The Harvard Graduate School of Education's Learning Technologies Center (LTC) provides classroom, personal, and instructional technology support to the GSE community. It is our hope that technology can enhance every aspect of the student's experience, from up-to-date public computers that provide applications necessary for course assignments, to a multimedia development lab where students and faculty may create media-rich content for their classes and their course sites, from wireless access from many places on campus to broad application of instructional technologies in every phase of the learning process.
Our offerings include:
Thoughtfully applied, technology can greatly enhance the teaching and learning experience. At HGSE, technology is used in course instruction in a number of ways, such as:
- the rich use of course websites to post course content, collaborate online, and communicate with individuals, groups, and the whole class between face-to-face class sessions
- the assignment of digital assets such as "video chapters" to prepare for class
- class sessions held in technologically-enhanced classrooms
- the use of web conferencing technology for “virtual” guest speakers, virtual office hours, online review sessions, and web-based student project collaboration
- the ability for students to review video and/or audio of a class session after class
- facilities for students and faculty to work on multimedia projects
Twelve of our classrooms are fully equipped to provide the faculty with most of their presentation requirements, from audio and video projection to audio and video capture. Media technology is also delivered to classrooms. The LTC also supports special events and speakers associated with HGSE.
The LTC provides and supports over 100 computers in Gutman Library and in the General Computing Area (located in the LTC). These computers are loaded with all applications a student will need to work on course assignments. Printing through the student P-Counter systems is also provided.
Multimedia Development Lab
The multimedia development lab provides students and faculty with computers set up for a wide variety of media production, including audio and video editing, CD and DVD production, web development, and other applications that might be needed for media-enhanced projects.
Video Recording, Editing, and Streaming
The LTC provides classroom and special event videography within the parameters of its resources. It also provides video editing and a video streaming server for use in instructional technology.
Working closely with GSE administrative staff, the application development team works to create and enhance applications that improve the day-to-day functioning of HGSE.
Network and Services
The LTC provides network access to faculty, students, and staff. Wireless is available in many areas around campus. Server space is available to faculty, students, and staff. The LTC provides email accounts to all community members and maintains a help desk for the entire community.