Office of the Registrar
Information for HGSE Students
Harvard University provides students at the Harvard Graduate School of Education with a wealth of opportunities to pursue academic, cultural, and recreational interests beyond the HGSE campus. Cross registration is an excellent way to explore classes and subjects that HGSE does not offer, as well as to connect with colleagues at the other Harvard schools. Please access the Cross Registration Topic Box on MyGSE for a brief e-Lecture, which explains the HGSE and Harvard steps and requirements for cross registration, as well as a document that contains step-by-step directions.
Information for Non-HGSE Students
HGSE is participating in a NEW Cross Registration Pilot Program for 2012-2013 courses. Students from Harvard University (with the exception of the Division of Continuing Education), will cross register online, via the Harvard Course Catalog.
Students from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the Episcopal Divinity School should follow their normal cross registration procedure.
Steps for Students from Harvard University:
Step 1: Using the Harvard University Course Catalog, select the course(s) into which you plan to enroll.
Step 2: For each course, create an online cross registration petition using the Harvard University Course Catalog (beginning January 22nd).
Step 3: Send your petition form (electronically) to the instructor for approval by clicking “Submit” next to your course selection.
- Starting on the first day of classes, an email will be automatically sent to the instructor, informing him/her of your interest in the course.
- As a courtesy, you should also have a separate conversation with the instructor to express your interest in the course.
- You will receive a confirmation email once the HGSE Office of the Registrar takes action on your petition.
- The deadline to cross register into HGSE for a spring course is Friday, February 15st, 2013.
- Petitions for the January term will open on November 12th 2012. The deadline to cross register into a January term course is December 3rd, 2012.
Steps for Students from MIT, Fletcher, and the Episcopal Divinity School:
Step 1: Go to the Harvard University Cross Registration Website.
Step 2: Obtain the faculty member's signature on the cross registration petition.
Step 3: Submit the signed petition to the HGSE Office of the Registrar.
Spring Cross Registration Dates and Deadlines for Non-HGSE Students
- Tuesday, January 22nd (cross registration opens for courses)
- Friday, February 15th (cross registration ends; last day to drop or change grade preference for a course. Exception: Modules must be cross registered into, dropped or have the grade option changed before the beginning of the 3rd class meeting.)
HGSE January Term Information
January Term Cross Registration Dates and Deadlines for Non-HGSE Students
- Monday, November 12th (January term application deadline, see FAQ above for more information)
- Friday, November 16th (cross registration opens)
- Monday, December 3rd (cross registration ends)
- Courses must be cross registered into, dropped or have the grade option changed before the beginning of the 2nd class meeting.
Office Hours and Location
We are located in Longfellow Hall, 009 on Appian Way
We are open Monday-Thursday 9:00am-5:00pm and Friday 9:00am-2:00pm
Call us at 617 495-3419